• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

Deny him proof

Dear teachers, I've watched the video about Muhamed Al Faed here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM-vmbwaybA
    and I don't quite understand the meaning of two expressions there.

1) It was put to Mr Al Faed that anyone who disagreed with him, was in his mind dishonest and a conspirator. (1:57)

Does it mean that Mr. Al Faed was reproached for that? Or he was asked if everyone who disagreed with him was dishonest?

2) Mr Al Faed said the Security Sevices have put up a steal wall to deny him proof (2:04).

Does 'Deny him proof' mean - to prevent him from proving? Or it's rather 'to show that his evidence falls down'?

Thank you.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Deny him proof

Quote Originally Posted by aktyvia View Post
    Dear teachers, I've watched the video about Muhamed Al Faed here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM-vmbwaybA
    and I don't quite understand the meaning of two expressions there.

1) It was put to Mr Al Faed that anyone who disagreed with him, was in his mind dishonest and a conspirator. (1:57)

Does it mean that Mr. Al Faed was reproached for that? Or he was asked if everyone who disagreed with him was dishonest?

2) Mr Al Faed said the Security Sevices have put up a steal wall to deny him proof (2:04).

Does 'Deny him proof' mean - to prevent him from proving? Or it's rather 'to show that his evidence falls down'?

Thank you.
    Welcome to the forum.

1) It means that someone suggested to Mr Al Faed that he (Mr Al Faed) thought that anyone who disagreed with him must be dishonest. Note that, for me, there should be no comma after "him" but there should be a comma after "was" and after "mind".

2) It should be "steel" not "steal". It suggests to me that the Security Services have some proof which could help Mr Al Faed's case but they have erected a (metaphorical) wall which is so strong that he cannot get through it to reach the proof he needs.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

3. Newbie
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

Thank you so much!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Your appreciation is welcome, aktyvia, but there is no need to write a new post to say Thank you. Your click on the Thank button on any posts you find helpful is all we expect. It means that we don't have to open the thread again to read your new post and then find that it doesn't include any new information or an additional question.

It saves everybody's time.