Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. Odessa Dawn's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Saudi Arabia
      • Current Location:
      • Saudi Arabia

    • Join Date: Aug 2012
    • Posts: 1,617
    #1

    Be there.

    Sometimes I ask someone to pass me something. The person I am talking to is trying to come close to give me what I am asking for. Is it correct to say be there. In other words, I am going to come to him and take it by myself.


  2. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    #2

    Re: Be there.

    Quote Originally Posted by Odessa Dawn View Post
    Sometimes I ask someone to pass me something. The person I am talking to is trying to come close to give me what I am asking for. Is it correct to say be there. In other words, I am going to come to him and take it by myself.

    No. "Be there" means nothing to me in that context.

  3. Odessa Dawn's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Saudi Arabia
      • Current Location:
      • Saudi Arabia

    • Join Date: Aug 2012
    • Posts: 1,617
    #3

    Re: Be there.

    What should I say in such a situation, please?


  4. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    #4

    Re: Be there.

    Quote Originally Posted by Odessa Dawn View Post
    What should I say in such a situation, please?

    I am not certain what you are asking, but "come closer" is the best I can do.

  5. Odessa Dawn's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Saudi Arabia
      • Current Location:
      • Saudi Arabia

    • Join Date: Aug 2012
    • Posts: 1,617
    #5

    Re: Be there.

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    I am not certain what you are asking, but "come closer" is the best I can do.
    I am asking him to stay where he is and I am going to take what I am asking for. It is kind of respectful way not to be burden to others. You help yourself.


  6. Amigos4's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Oct 2007
    • Posts: 54,947
    #6

    Re: Be there.

    Quote Originally Posted by Odessa Dawn View Post
    I am asking him to stay where he is and I am going to take what I am asking for. It is kind of respectful way not to be burden to others. You help yourself.

    "Please stay where you are. I'll come and get it. Thank you!"

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •