rajan

Member Type
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
1) While life has forced Mrs. X to stop working, she is still getting work.
1a) Life has forced Mrs. X to stop working; however, she is still getting work.

2) While we dispatched the packages on time, sometimes we have noticed that customers get those packages late.
2a) We dispatched the packages on time; however, sometimes we have noticed that customers getthose packages late.

1) Could somebody please tell if "while" and "however" are interchangeable in the above sentences ?

2) Why in sentence number 1 and 2, "although" has not been used ? Is there any advantage of "While over "although" in above sentences ? Is there any rule that sometimes when meaning of "while" is "although", we have to use "while" only and not "although" ?

3) I am asking this because "while" shows contrast also. So I get confused in some sentences that whether meaning of while in those sentences is "although" or it is just showing contrast.

Regards

Rajan

SlickVic9000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
(Not a Teacher)

1) No

2) No, they mean the same thing in this context, it's just a matter of preference.

3) "Though, although, while, despite, and in spite of" can all be used to show contrast.

rajan

Member Type
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Could you please tell me if "While" shows contrast then in serial number 4 of the below mentioned link, why the meaning of "while" is mentioned separately as Although, Despite the fact that....., while in serial no. 3, this link is telling that it shows contrast.

http://oald8.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/dictionary/while

Regards

(Not a Teacher)

3) "Though, although, while, despite, and in spite of" can all be used to show contrast.

SlickVic9000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
(Not a Teacher)

I might have been hasty in lumping them all together. I wouldn't say "despite and in spite of" are used in comparisons like that shown in entry 3. "Though, although, and while" include the definitions of "despite and in spite of", but not so much the other way around.

Status
Not open for further replies.