Results 1 to 8 of 8
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Sesotho
      • Home Country:
      • South Africa
      • Current Location:
      • South Africa

    • Join Date: Feb 2014
    • Posts: 10
    #1

    Noun+of+noun

    Goood Day,
    I am not native speaker of English. I have challenge when interpretating noun +of+noun. kindly assist in the interpretation of this sentence and thoroughly explain to me how do perfect myself in this regard.
    1-problematic nature of legal resolutions
    2-morally conflicting conceptions of justice.

    Thank you in advance

  1. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    #2

    Re: Noun+of+noun

    Quote Originally Posted by pnong View Post
    Goood Day,
    I am not native speaker of English. I have challenge when interpretating noun +of+noun. kindly assist in the interpretation of this sentence and thoroughly explain to me how do perfect myself in this regard.
    1-problematic nature of legal resolutions
    2-morally conflicting conceptions of justice.

    Thank you in advance
    it would be better if you posted entire sentences.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 57,864
    #3

    Re: Noun+of+noun

    I don't see the problem here- many things have a problematic nature, and in this phrase the speaker is talking about the particular problematic nature that legal resolutions have.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Jun 2010
    • Posts: 24,477
    #4

    Re: Noun+of+noun

    Welcome to the forums, pnong.

    The preposition 'of' here means 'associated with'.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Sesotho
      • Home Country:
      • South Africa
      • Current Location:
      • South Africa

    • Join Date: Feb 2014
    • Posts: 10
    #5

    Re: Noun+of+noun

    Kindly see the phrase as requested:
    "this chapter will draw on case studies that show the elusiveness of justice and will demonstrate the effects of the problematic nature of legal resolutions within morally conflicting conceptions of justice"

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Sesotho
      • Home Country:
      • South Africa
      • Current Location:
      • South Africa

    • Join Date: Feb 2014
    • Posts: 10
    #6

    Re: Noun+of+noun

    Thanks for prompt reponse to my query, however the explanation that you cite is still not clear to me. Kindly explain in a simple English. The reason I request a clear explanation from you is that in the dictionary they explain "nature" as the "kind and sort". am I allow to say problematic kind. in the media they like to say "the nature of the problems" is it the same as "the kind of the problems"."the nature of business"=the kind of business.

  2. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    #7

    Re: Noun+of+noun

    Quote Originally Posted by pnong View Post
    Kindly see the phrase as requested:
    "this chapter will draw on case studies that show the elusiveness of justice and will demonstrate the effects of the problematic nature of legal resolutions within morally conflicting conceptions of justice"
    It appears the chapter deals with actual legal cases in which the final decision was deemed to be unjust. "Problematic nature of legal resolutions" means that the ultimate verdict is not always just or fair to all parties. "Morally conflicting conceptions of justice" probably involves the difference between what one knows intellectually and what one can prove. Assume for example, that there was a case of murder involving a contract killer. The killer was convicted, but the prosecutors could not prove the connection to the person who likely hired the killer. So a guilty party went free.

  3. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    #8

    Re: Noun+of+noun

    Quote Originally Posted by pnong View Post
    Thanks for prompt reponse to my query, however the explanation that you cite is still not clear to me. Kindly explain in a simple English. The reason I request a clear explanation from you is that in the dictionary they explain "nature" as the "kind and sort". am I allow to say problematic kind. in the media they like to say "the nature of the problems" is it the same as "the kind of the problems"."the nature of business"=the kind of business.
    In that use, "nature" means the essential characteristics or the basic/inherent features of the noun.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-Nov-2013, 06:24
  2. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-Apr-2013, 05:34
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 18-Jan-2013, 17:09
  4. Compound Noun or Descriptive Noun -- Show Possesive
    By bellb in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 19-Oct-2007, 09:59

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •