Small amount of money students spend at school.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Odessa Dawn

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
What is the term referring to small amount of money parents giving their children to spend at school to buy breakfast, please?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What is the term referring to small amount of money parents giving their children to spend at school to buy breakfast, please?

In AmE we would normally call that an "allowance".

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
In BrE, 'pocket money' or an 'allowance' is usually a fixed sum of money parents give their children weekly or monthly.

If parents give their children a sum of money for a specific purpose, it is usually 'dinner money' for the midday meal commonly known as 'school dinner'. Now that some primary schools are serving breakfast, I guess (sorry, I don't know) that money for this is called 'breakfast money'.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm in the same position as 5jj here - I would have to guess that it might be called breakfast money. When I was at school, schools did not serve breakfast. They served lunch/dinner (the name of the meal at around noon depending on which part of the country you were in) and at break time there was a small kiosk selling crisps, chocolate etc.

The money you had for the noon meal was "lunch money" or "dinner money" and money you were given for a snack at break time was "tuck money". This was because the little kiosk in almost all schools was known as the "tuck shop".

In my case, I only took tuck money because my parents always paid for a whole term of my school dinners in advance so I didn't take dinner money in.

Status
Not open for further replies.