• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I thought I might lose it

1-"Until I thought I might lose it, I never loved to read. One does not love breathing."

I saw this on a poster and it was attributed to Harper Lee. It might be from the book "To Kill a Mockingbird".

When I read the first sentence I thought "lose it" meant "lose my mind". But when I read the whole quotation I realized that 'it' meant either "the capacity to read" or "the possibility to read" or "the right to read".

What do you make of it?
    Is it natural?

I think the way 'it' has been used in it is a bit strange, because one cannot see clearly what it (sic) refers to.

Gratefully,
    Navi.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: I thought I might lose it

Quote Originally Posted by navi tasan View Post
    1-"Until I thought I might lose it, I never loved to read. One does not love breathing."

I saw this on a poster and it was attributed to Harper Lee. It might be from the book "To Kill a Mockingbird".

When I read the first sentence I thought "lose it" meant "lose my mind". But when I read the whole quotation I realized that 'it' meant either "the capacity to read" or "the possibility to read" or "the right to read".

What do you make of it?
    Is it natural?

I think the way 'it' has been used in it is a bit strange, because one cannot see clearly what it (sic) refers to.

Gratefully,
    Navi.
    Without more context, it is ambiguous. Your thoughts are good ones, but I don't know. Your use of "(sic)" is odd. Earlier in the sentence, you put "it" in quotes. You should have done that in the second use. "Sic" is used when one is quoting something that has an error in it.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Thank you very much Mike.

I used 'it' to refer to 'it'. I put "sic" just to say that that was intentional. My use of 'sic' was unconventional. I was trying to be funny. My apologies if there was any misunderstanding and thanks for pointing that out to me.

Do you find the original sentence natural? Has 'it' been used correctly in it? I still can't see what it refers to.

It is true that we don't have the larger context. The sentence was isolated. It was on a poster.

Gratefully,
    Navi.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by navi tasan View Post
    Thank you very much Mike.

I used 'it' to refer to 'it'. I put "sic" just to say that that was intentional. My use of 'sic' was unconventional. I was trying to be funny. My apologies if there was any misunderstanding and thanks for pointing that out to me.

Do you find the original sentence natural? Has 'it' been used correctly in it? I still can't see what it refers to.

It is true that we don't have the larger context. The sentence was isolated. It was on a poster.

Gratefully,
    Navi.
    I think that all of your possibilities for "it" are possible. It is not clear from the sentence.