Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
What's the rule for making the comparative and superlative form of more-than-one part adjectives? Like: slow paced, fast paced, high class, etc.

I've heard slower paced and most fast paced, and this is why I'm confused which rule I'm supposed to follow.

Thanks,

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
What's the rule for making the comparative and superlative form of more-than-one part adjectives? Like: slow paced, fast paced, high class, etc.

I've heard slower paced and most fast paced, and this is why I'm confused which rule I'm supposed to follow.

Thanks,

Why are "slower-paced" and "most fast-paced" confusing you? The first is a comparative and the second is a superlative. They are unlikely to take the same form.

Slow-paced.
Slower-paced.
Slowest-paced/Most slow-paced

High class.
Higher class
Highest class.

atabitaraf

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Why are "slower-paced" and "most fast-paced" confusing you? The first is a comparative and the second is a superlative. They are unlikely to take the same form.

Slow-paced.
Slower-paced.
Slowest-paced/Most slow-paced

High class.
Higher class
Highest class.

The question is 'When can I use more/most and when -er/-est?' Because slow has one syllable, exactly like fast. So how is it possible to make -er/-est for one of them and more/most for the other?
I memorized some rules for making the comparative and superlative forms of one-part adjectives, but I think they don't work for two-part adjectives.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
There's nothing wrong with 'faster-paced' and 'fastest-paced.

atabitaraf

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
There's nothing wrong with 'faster-paced' and 'fastest-paced.
So are both of them correct? fastest-paced and most fast-paced?
Is this rule correct?
For two-part adjectives we have the same rules as for the one-part adjectives? OR we always can use the both forms? OR we don't have a rule, just referring to the native people is the way? Would you please help to make a rule not to get more confused?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
So are both of them correct? fastest-paced and most fast-paced? Yes. The version we choose depends on the context.

For two-part adjectives do we have the same rules as for the one-part adjectives? Normally – yes.

​Can we always [STRIKE]can[/STRIKE] use [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] both forms? Usually – yes. I'm not going to say 'always'.

Treat two-part adjectives like one-part adjectives. In most cases you will be correct.

It will not happen often; two-part adjectives are comparatively rare.

Last edited:

atabitaraf

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Treat two-part adjectives like one-part adjectives. In most cases you will be correct.

It will not happen often; two-part adjectives are comparatively rare.

Of course you mean to refer to the first part of these adjectives, am I right? If the first part needs er/est OR more/most, we do it for the two-part adjective.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
So are both of them correct? fastest-paced and most fast-paced?
Is this rule correct?
Yes, but few people would say "most fast-paced" to avoid the '-st -st -st' sound which sounds a bit funny/repetitive. If I found myself saying, "He's the most fast-paced horse", I'd probably say, "He's the most ... er, the fastest paced horse." But they're still both right.

Status
Not open for further replies.