Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
We were fortunate to get back without ...

an accident<····· correct
an incident
an event

1. In the above question I chose "an incident" according to a dictionary definition:

http://www.learnersdictionary.com/definition/incident

without incident = without trouble

But when I checked it I saw that my answer was wrong. Why? :?: Is it because of the article?

2. When a chandelier crashed down on to the people in the Opera House and hurt and even killed some of them (in "The Phantom of the Opera"), was it an accident or an incident? I think it was an incident as it had been planned by the Phantom and done by him intentionally. Right?

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It's an unfair question unless the responder is supposed to know that "without incident" is the standard English phrase. For a native, the only acceptable answer is "without an accident" because "without an incident" and "without an event" are inappropriate.

Last edited by a moderator:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
It's an unfair question
This type of question often is. The question-setter seems to be getting a kick out of showing off his/her superb command of the language. It's particularly silly in this case, because, in my opinion, most native speakers would not find 'without an incident' particularly gross.

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
To sum up, are "without incident" and "without an accident" both fine and mean the same?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
To sum up, are "without incident" and "without an accident" both [STRIKE]fine[/STRIKE] acceptable/OK and do they mean the same?
Yes and no.

They are both acceptable, but they do not mean the same. Being stopped by the police for speeding might be called an incident; it is not an accident.

We do not normally use 'fine' in the sense of 'acceptable' in negative or interrogative sentences,

Status
Not open for further replies.