• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

Idiomatic expressions

Dear teachers and native speakers, I have two questions about some expressione I have across in these days reading an American novel.
    1) are there any differences between "to get off to a good/bad start" and "to start off on the right/wrong foot"? Or do they mean the same but you use them in different contexts?
    2) when I want to encourage somebody to continue to do something, to insist on doing something even though you find it difficult, do you use these expressions "stick at it!" "keep at it!" "keep pushing forward!" commonly with the same meaning?
    Thanks you all.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Idiomatic expressions

Quote Originally Posted by caesar1983 View Post
    Dear teachers and native speakers, I have two questions about some expressione expressions I have came across in these days recently while reading an American novel.
    1) are there any differences between "to get off to a good/bad start" and "to start off on the right/wrong foot"? Or do they mean the same but you use them in different contexts? Usually, "to get off to a good/bad start" means to begin with a good or bad start to a project or job while "to start off on the right/wrong foot" is more about first encounters with people.
    2) when I want to encourage somebody to continue to do something, to insist on doing something even though you find it difficult, do you use these expressions "stick at it!" (stick with it) "keep at it!" "keep pushing forward!" commonly with the same meaning? Yes
    Thanks ​to you all.
    Gil