Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20
  1. MissEllie's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Feb 2014
    • Posts: 10
    #1

    I didn't study VS. I haven't studied

    Hello dear teachers

    This is my first post here, I think I can learn alot from you in this forum.

    I'm a ESL teacher. This happens alot in the class: You know, the students never study... well, which one (A or B) is correct?

    A

    T: have you studied?
    S: No, I haven't studied.


    B

    T: Did you study?
    S: No, I didn't study.

  2. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,893
    #2

    Re: I didn't study VS. I haven't studied

    Welcome to the forum.

    Both variants are acceptable. You would have to be more specific with them about when you're talking about. "Did you study last night?" or "Have you studied the text I set you last week?"

    Note that "a lot" is two words.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

  3. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,627
    #3

    Re: I didn't study VS. I haven't studied

    It's "an ESL teacher".

  4. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #4

    Re: I didn't study VS. I haven't studied

    Please check that all the information on your profile is correct, Miss Ellie.

  5. MissEllie's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Feb 2014
    • Posts: 10
    #5

    Re: I didn't study VS. I haven't studied

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    Welcome to the forum.

    Both variants are acceptable. You would have to be more specific with them about when you're talking about. "Did you study last night?" or "Have you studied the text I set you last week?"

    Note that "a lot" is two words.
    Thank you for the correction.

    So you mean that it should be "I haven't studied" unless I add "the time", like "I didn't study last night". Did I get it right?

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    It's "an ESL teacher".
    My! How did I make that mistake! LOL

    Thank you.

    Quote Originally Posted by 5jj View Post
    Please check that all the information on your profile is correct, Miss Ellie.
    I will. I had my friend fill in the form for me so he probably made some mistakes. I will check it.

  6. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,627
    #6

    Re: I didn't study VS. I haven't studied

    Quote Originally Posted by MissEllie View Post
    Thank you for the correction.

    So you mean that it should be "I haven't studied" unless I add "the time", like "I didn't study last night". Did I get it right?



    My! How did I make that mistake! LOL

    Thank you.



    I will. I had my friend fill in the form for me so he probably made some mistakes. I will check it.
    I see that you have changed the information. Are you sure that it is correct now?

  7. MissEllie's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Feb 2014
    • Posts: 10
    #7

    Re: I didn't study VS. I haven't studied

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    I see that you have changed the information. Are you sure that it is correct now?
    Well, I had no idea that is matters a lot for you........! I see that I was dead wrong!

    Yes! it IS correct now!

    I'm from Iran and I teach English to children and teenagers in schools and institutes. and I LOVE my job so much and I'm proud of it. My friend had selected his own dream country as my profile information. I'm willing to answer more questions if you have any. And please forgive my grammatical mistakes, I'm not a native English speaker. I speak Persian (Farsi), which I'm proud of.

  8. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,627
    #8

    Re: I didn't study VS. I haven't studied

    Quote Originally Posted by MissEllie View Post
    Well, I had no idea that is matters a lot for you........! I see that I was dead wrong!

    Yes! it IS correct now!

    I'm from Iran and I teach English to children and teenagers in schools and institutes. and I LOVE my job so much and I'm proud of it. My friend had selected his own dream country as my profile information. I'm willing to answer more questions if you have any. And please forgive my grammatical mistakes, I'm not a native English speaker. I speak Persian (Farsi), which I'm proud of.
    Your IP address is in the UK. I'm glad that you are proud of your native language.

  9. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #9

    Re: I didn't study VS. I haven't studied

    Quote Originally Posted by MissEllie View Post
    I'm willing to answer more questions if you have any.
    We do not pry into people's private lives.

    We do like to know where our members come from and what their language is, as this information can sometimes help us understand their problems better, and enable us to give more appropriate answers. We also ask you to choose a member classification for similar reasons. We phrase our responses to learners differently from those to teachers.

  10. MissEllie's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Feb 2014
    • Posts: 10
    #10

    Re: I didn't study VS. I haven't studied

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    Your IP address is in the UK. I'm glad that you are proud of your native language.
    That's because I have to use an "anti filter" to have access to some certain websites.The government have restricted the internet access in my country. It's not a free country, you've probably heard about it in the news. Any way, I have to use anti filters, so that explains why my IP is from UK, it can even show that I'm in the US but that's false. I'm living in my own country.
    Last edited by MissEllie; 14-Feb-2014 at 07:29. Reason: typo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Grammar] What did/have you study/studied at university?
    By tom3m in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 15-Sep-2013, 16:14
  2. Haven't and didn't
    By msaeed in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 20-Aug-2012, 09:12
  3. [Grammar] 'haven't' or 'didn't' ?
    By wotcha in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 16-Nov-2011, 10:12
  4. [Grammar] haven't studied or didn't studied
    By Will17 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 21-Apr-2011, 23:56
  5. haven't and didn't
    By eddy143 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-Apr-2011, 15:08

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •