Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello dear teachers

This is my first post here, I think I can learn alot from you in this forum.

I'm a ESL teacher. This happens alot in the class: You know, the students never study... well, which one (A or B) is correct?

A

T: have you studied?
S: No, I haven't studied.

B

T: Did you study?
S: No, I didn't study.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Welcome to the forum.

Both variants are acceptable. You would have to be more specific with them about when you're talking about. "Did you study last night?" or "Have you studied the text I set you last week?"

Note that "a lot" is two words.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
It's "an ESL teacher".

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Please check that all the information on your profile is correct, Miss Ellie.

MissEllie

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Welcome to the forum.

Both variants are acceptable. You would have to be more specific with them about when you're talking about. "Did you study last night?" or "Have you studied the text I set you last week?"

Note that "a lot" is two words.

Thank you for the correction.

So you mean that it should be "I haven't studied" unless I add "the time", like "I didn't study last night". Did I get it right?

It's "an ESL teacher".

My! How did I make that mistake! LOL

Thank you.

Please check that all the information on your profile is correct, Miss Ellie.

I will. I had my friend fill in the form for me so he probably made some mistakes. I will check it.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Thank you for the correction.

So you mean that it should be "I haven't studied" unless I add "the time", like "I didn't study last night". Did I get it right?

My! How did I make that mistake! LOL

Thank you.

I will. I had my friend fill in the form for me so he probably made some mistakes. I will check it.

I see that you have changed the information. Are you sure that it is correct now?

MissEllie

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I see that you have changed the information. Are you sure that it is correct now?

Well, I had no idea that is matters a lot for you........! I see that I was dead wrong!

Yes! it IS correct now!

I'm from Iran and I teach English to children and teenagers in schools and institutes. and I LOVE my job so much and I'm proud of it. My friend had selected his own dream country as my profile information. I'm willing to answer more questions if you have any. And please forgive my grammatical mistakes, I'm not a native English speaker. I speak Persian (Farsi), which I'm proud of.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Well, I had no idea that is matters a lot for you........! I see that I was dead wrong!

Yes! it IS correct now!

I'm from Iran and I teach English to children and teenagers in schools and institutes. and I LOVE my job so much and I'm proud of it. My friend had selected his own dream country as my profile information. I'm willing to answer more questions if you have any. And please forgive my grammatical mistakes, I'm not a native English speaker. I speak Persian (Farsi), which I'm proud of.

Your IP address is in the UK. I'm glad that you are proud of your native language.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I'm willing to answer more questions if you have any.
We do not pry into people's private lives.

We do like to know where our members come from and what their language is, as this information can sometimes help us understand their problems better, and enable us to give more appropriate answers. We also ask you to choose a member classification for similar reasons. We phrase our responses to learners differently from those to teachers.

MissEllie

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Your IP address is in the UK. I'm glad that you are proud of your native language.

That's because I have to use an "anti filter" to have access to some certain websites.The government have restricted the internet access in my country. It's not a free country, you've probably heard about it in the news. Any way, I have to use anti filters, so that explains why my IP is from UK, it can even show that I'm in the US but that's false. I'm living in my own country.

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
That's because I have to use an "anti filter" to have access to some certain websites.The government have restricted the internet access in my country. It's not a free country, you've probably heard about it in the news. Any way, I have to use anti filters, so that explains why my IP is from UK, it can even shows that I'm in the US but that's false. I'm living in my own country.

Thank you.

MissEllie

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
We do not pry into people's private lives.

We do like to know where our members come from and what their language is, as this information can sometimes help us understand their problems better, and enable us to give more appropriate answers. We also ask you to choose a member classification for similar reasons. We phrase our responses to learners differently from those to teachers.

Ok, thank you for clarifying it for me.

I'm sorry I couldn't understand what you mean by "member classification" , and what exactly should I choose? Is it the same as "Member Type"? I thought that I had to choose my job for this field.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
That's because I have to use an "anti filter" to have access to some certain websites.
That's fine. As I said, we don't pry, but we do have to be careful when members say in their profile that they are in one country when their IPA is in another.

There are, unfortunately, a lot of spammers and trolls around. One of the more tedious parts of a moderator's work is trying to keep the forum safe from such pests - who often give a false location. That is why bhai and I pressed you. Sorry if you felt that we were being intrusive; I hope you now see why we acted as we did.

Last edited:

MissEllie

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
That's fine. As I said, we don't pry, but we do have to be careful when members say in their profile that they are in one country when their IPA is in another.

There are, unfortunately, a lot of spammers and trolls around. One of the more tedious part of a moderator's work is trying to keep the forum safe from such pests - who often give a false location. That is why bhai and I pressed you. Sorry if you felt that we were being intrusive; I hope you now see why we acted as we did.

Well, I must admit that it raised my eyebrows at first, lol, but when you told me the reasons, I got it. I can see what you mean and I really appreciate that you are careful about everything.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
And please forgive my grammatical mistakes.

There's nothing to forgive, MissEllie.

Your English is excellent.:-D

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Ok, thank you for clarifying it for me.

I'm sorry I couldn't understand what you mean by "member classification" , and what exactly should I choose? Is it the same as "Member Type"? I thought that I had to choose my job for this field.

Hello, MissEllie.:-D

Welcome to UsingEnglish.com.
You are right.
I'm sure 5jj meant "Member Type" by "a member classification".

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
There's no need to send a new post just to say thank you, Miss Ellie, or to quote our replies back to us.

Your click on the Thank button is all we need to see.

MissEllie

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Ok Rover_KE, I was just afraid that it would seem rude to you :)

So if I may, back to the topic, just want to be sure if I get it right?
I should use the Present Perfect tense unless I'm specific about when I'm talking about.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
So if I may, back to the topic, just want to be sure if I get it right?
I should use the Present Perfect tense unless I'm specific about when I'm talking about.

Er... I think so.

Status
Not open for further replies.