Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Looking for feedback on Phrasal Verbs teaching app (Android)

Hello everyone,

we are a small studio based in Berlin, Germany, and we do educational games for kids mainly, but also for anyone with a young mind and willing to learn. Our first app is designed to learn the phrasal verbs. We are looking for impartial views on the educational value of the app and for impressions and suggestions for improvement. Good and bad feedback is welcome, we are especially interested in hearing what you would improve and if there is any area of the learning experience that is confusing you.

We are working on making the best learning experience possible, to bring knowledge to as many people as we can.

Here is Phrasal Nerds:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.warmfeetstudios.phrasalnerds&hl=en

For now it's only available on Android and it's optimized for tablets. You can find our contact email on google play and we will be following this forum too. Looking forward to discuss the educational value with you and to hear what you think! ;-)

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Are you expecting us to actually download this app to our Android devices in order to give you feedback? If so, I think you will be disappointed. Several of us only operate on Apple devices so if you haven't done an iOS version, we can't use it. Many others will be very reluctant to download something they know nothing about. You need to find a way for us to have a play with it on our computers without downloading/installing anything.

I've had a look at the few screens that are available via that link. I don't know why the slides which read "Study teaches you what you need to know to pass the quiz" seems to have a capital "P" on "pass" and a capital "Q" on "quiz". Neither is necessary.

In another slide, it reads "Quiz tests your Phrasal verb ability, you must pass the quiz to unlock the next stage. There should be no capital letter on "phrasal". The comma should be a full stop or a dash. If you choose a full stop then "you" must start with a capital letter.

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I haven't got an appropriate device to use it, but the shots on the site make it look fun.

BTW About downloading- people are often hesitant to download files from links in forums, but this is in the Google store, so it's not like asking people to download an unknown file from a site they've never heard of.

WarmFeetStudios

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Are you expecting us to actually download this app to our Android devices in order to give you feedback? If so, I think you will be disappointed. Several of us only operate on Apple devices so if you haven't done an iOS version, we can't use it. Many others will be very reluctant to download something they know nothing about. You need to find a way for us to have a play with it on our computers without downloading/installing anything.

I've had a look at the few screens that are available via that link. I don't know why the slides which read "Study teaches you what you need to know to pass the quiz" seems to have a capital "P" on "pass" and a capital "Q" on "quiz". Neither is necessary.

In another slide, it reads "Quiz tests your Phrasal verb ability, you must pass the quiz to unlock the next stage. There should be no capital letter on "phrasal". The comma should be a full stop or a dash. If you choose a full stop then "you" must start with a capital letter.

Hi emsr2d2, thanks for the feedback! Absolutely understand with iOS. Will edit the first post to make it clear that it's an Android app. Giving you a way to play with it on your computer without downloading anything is another good point, I take note and see how we could do it, I agree with you that someone new to our apps (which is basically everyone right now) will be hesitant to install it.

Thanks for the tip on the text, it's the font that we're using that has no lowercase versions of those characters, will fix that in the next update ;-)

Overall my expectation from discussing the app here is to have an open channel where teachers open to (or forced to use) educational apps in the classroom can give us suggestions like yours with the font, to improve the overall quality of the app and how useful it is to educators and students. Your iOS point is very good too, and validates the need to port the app to iOS. Android is our priority because of the lack of quality in the existing offers, we're 4 people working out of a kitchen and have to choose well where to start off! :) But definitely we will include iOS users.

If only one teacher finds our app here and considers it useful enough for use in the classroom, that's good enough for us. If that same teacher takes the time to write back to share her thoughts then even better, discussing the educational value of english apps and reactions to (not only) our apps in the class would be an interesting talk.

We are working directly with an english teacher but his time is limited and we know each other good. An impartial view is the strength of forums like this one, and comments like yours are very much appreciated :)

WarmFeetStudios

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
I haven't got an appropriate device to use it, but the shots on the site make it look fun.

BTW About downloading- people are often hesitant to download files from links in forums, but this is in the Google store, so it's not like asking people to download an unknown file from a site they've never heard of.

Hi Tdol, thanks for your comment! Doubling speed on the iOS version development! :-D
We're trying to make learning phrasal verbs into a fun game that will engage kids and keep them learning. Part of the learning experience will be little phrasal verb related minigames, which together with the story and the quizes, we hope will make kids and esl/efl students want to keep learning.

Edited the thread title and exposed the link to the app in the first post to make it absolutely clear that it's a link to the Google store and nothing shady.

Last edited:

Esredux

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
;-):)
If only one teacher finds our app here and considers it useful enough for use in the classroom, that's good enough for us. If that same teacher takes the time to write back to share her thoughts then even better, discussing the educational value of english apps and reactions to (not only) our apps in the class would be an interesting talk.
:)
I don't think I'd last long if I started using apps in the classroom :-D but I am constantly on the lookout for good apps for self-study.
Failed to install yours as it was too large.:-?

Status
Not open for further replies.