Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Dear masters please help me in meaning of the following questions.

1. Your healing power would be the outcome of a paradoxical force that conventional medicine recognizes but remains oddly ambivalent about: placebo effect.
2.many of the ingredients of that opening recipe-the generous swathes of time, the strong hints supernormal healing power-are the kind of thing likely to impress patients.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Dear masters please help me in meaning of the following questions.

1. Your healing power would be the outcome of a paradoxical force that conventional medicine recognizes but remains oddly ambivalent about: placebo effect.
2.many of the ingredients of that opening recipe-the generous swathes of time, the strong hints supernormal healing power-are the kind of thing likely to impress patients.

1. A placebo is a fake medicine that has no physiologic effect (aka sugar pill). Its normal use is in a controlled clinical trial designed to test the efficacy of a real medicine. Patients with a particular problem are randomly assorted into two groups: some on the real medicine and some on the placebo. What has been noticed is that some patients who believe that they are on an effective medicine will show improvement. This has led to some physicians prescribing a placebo for a medical problemin the belief that the mind can cure an illness. Many consider this to be unethical.

2. Some patients believe so strongly in the power of the mind to heal them that it seems to work in them. Others say that they were never really sick.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
[STRIKE]Dear masters[/STRIKE]. Unnecessary, and disrespectful to the female teachers here. Please help me with the meaning of the following [STRIKE]questions[/STRIKE] sentences.

2.Many of the ingredients of that opening recipe-the generous swathes of time, the strong hints supernormal healing power-are the kind of thing likely to impress patients.
`

hossein1392

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thank you, but I didn't get the meaning completely.
P.s. I know what the placebo is but the sentences' meaning are not clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.