Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Telugu
Home Country
India
Current Location
United States
I am always confused with verb form in present perfect continuous...
Generally, has/have been + ing form of verb, but I see some sentences like a) My computer has been locked since Monday. b) My account has been closed ......

please clarify me...thanks in advance.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It seems that Indian English uses the "ing" forms much more than other varieties of English.

The present perfect continuous is usually used to show that something has happened over some period of time, but carries the idea that it's temporary.

My computer has been locking... it's done it several times - it didn't used to - I get it fixed and it does it again - at some point I don't think it will do it anymore (after I get it fixed for the last time)

My computer has been locked ... the state is "locked" and this has not changed since Monday.

An account can't close over and over. You cannot say "My account has been closing."

Abishai

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Telugu
Home Country
India
Current Location
United States
It seems that Indian English uses the "ing" forms much more than other varieties of English.

The present perfect continuous is usually used to show that something has happened over some period of time, but carries the idea that it's temporary.

My computer has been locking... it's done it several times - it didn't used to - I get it fixed and it does it again - at some point I don't think it will do it anymore (after I get it fixed for the last time)

My computer has been locked ... the state is "locked" and this has not changed since Monday.

An account can't close over and over. You cannot say "My account has been closing."

Based on your reply, it can be either +ing form or past participle form depends on the sentence state. Please let me know..

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, but they mean different thing and some sentences cannot take the continous form.

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Hello, Abishai.:-D
Are you confusing the passive (voice) and the active (voice)?

We have done it. (the active)
It has been done. (the passive)

We have closed it. (the active)
It has been closed. (the passive)

For your reference: http://www.englishclub.com/grammar/verbs-voice_passive.htm

I hope the link will shed some light on your query.

Status
Not open for further replies.