Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Hong Kong
Dear teachers

I am writing the following sentence, and I want to know if I should use plural for "share price" and "performance"

"Managerial compensation linked to share price or income statement performance is likely to provide an incentive to manipulate the accounts."

1) Shall I use "share price" or "share prices", "performance" or "performances"?
2) In such circumstance, what is the grammar rule behind such use?

Please advise

Holden

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I would use the singular in both cases. If you use the plural, it would suggest not the price/performance of a particular company, but companies in general.

holdenenglish

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Hong Kong
I would use the singular in both cases. If you use the plural, it would suggest not the price/performance of a particular company, but companies in general.

Dear Tdol

Thanks for your reply. A follow-up question. If singular is used, shall I add "a" or "the" before "price" and "performance"?

Regards

Holden

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Dear Tdol

Thanks for your reply. A follow-up question. If singular is used, shall I add "a" or "the" before "price" and "performance"?

Regards

Holden

I wouldn't.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Dear Tdol

Regards

Holden
Note that 'performance' is shared by both "share price" and "income statement".
In other words, the sentence means, "Managerial compensation linked to share price [performance] or income statement performance is likely to provide an incentive to manipulate the accounts."
You couldn't use 'a', because it's extremely unlikely that incentives would rely on only one share price performance or one income statement. And you can't use 'the' because which share price or income performance has not been identified yet.

holdenenglish

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Hong Kong
Note that 'performance' is shared by both "share price" and "income statement".
In other words, the sentence means, "Managerial compensation linked to share price [performance] or income statement performance is likely to provide an incentive to manipulate the accounts."
You couldn't use 'a', because it's extremely unlikely that incentives would rely on only one share price performance or one income statement. And you can't use 'the' because which share price or income performance has not been identified yet.

Dear Raymott

Thanks for you reply. So is that because "performance" is uncountable here, so even if it's unlikely that it would not be "one" performance, we still don't use "performances" as well?

Please advise

Holden

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Dear Raymott

Thanks for you reply. So is that because "performance" is uncountable here, so even if it's unlikely that it would not be "one" performance, we still don't use "performances" as well?

Please advise

Holden
"Share price performance" means the way the share price performs. It's used uncountably here. Obviously the overall "performance" is a function of a whole lot of individual performances; but it's the overall performance that is at issue here.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

We can use performance countably when there are discrete elements, like a musician playing a number of concerts, but share prices fluctuate over time, so it's a process rather than discrete instances IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.