Do frequency adverbs come before the contractions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

atabitaraf

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
In the book Digest which is a book on grammar, I read, frequency adverbs come before the contractions. How much can I rely on this statement?
It is written that 'always' is an exception of this rule.

1. I usually can't work more than 10 h a day.
2. I can't always work more than 10 h a day.
3. I usually don't work more than 10 h a day.
4. I don't always work more than 10 h a day.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I think you can rely on that rule. I have not been able to think of an exception.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
In the book Digest which is a book on grammar, I read, frequency adverbs come before the contractions. How much can I rely on this statement?
I would take it with a grain of salt. The contractions you've used are all negations. Sometimes the effect is different.
5a. "I can't usually come." 5b "I usually can't come." These mean close enough to the same thing and are both acceptable.
6a. "I sometimes can't stand her!" 6b. "I can't sometimes stand her!" Only 6a is correct and colloquial. (Agrees with your rule).
7a. "I often don't understand her." 7b. "I don't often understand her." This one disagrees with your rule. 7a tends to mean that you understand her more often than 7b.
So, it depends on the adverb.

"Always", as you say, can make a big difference.
8a. "He always didn't believe her." (He never believed her). 8b. "He didn't always believe her." (Sometimes he didn't believe her).

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I
7a. "I often don't understand her." 7b. "I don't often understand her." This one disagrees with your rule. 7b tends to mean that you understand her more often than 7b.
There's a typo - One of the '7b's should be '7a'. However, I am not sure which - which must mean That I don't agree, whichever it is,

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
There's a typo - One of the '7b's should be '7a'. However, I am not sure which - which must mean That I don't agree, whichever it is,
My claim is that 7a. "I often don't understand her" is less serious than 7b. "I don't often understand her."
A man who doesn't often understand his wife is worse off than one who often doesn't understand her. I think that 7a has more of a connotation of "Sometimes I don't understand my wife", while 7b. connotes, "I rarely understand her."
But I'm not going to insist on this. It's not the best example. But I do still hold that there can be different connotations depending on whether the adverb comes first.

9a. "I don't often take my car to work."
9b. "I often don't take my care to work." (9a implies less often than 9b) - at least to me. The context in which these sentences are used probably makes the difference.

Last edited:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
My claim is that 7a. "I often don't understand her" is less serious than 7b. "I don't often understand her."
A man who doesn't often understand his wife is worse off than one who often doesn't understand her. I think that 7a has more of a connotation of "Sometimes I don't understand my wife", while 7b. connotes, "I rarely understand her."
But I'm not going to insist on this. It's not the best example. But I do still hold that there can be different connotations depending on whether the adverb comes first.

9a. "I don't often take my car to work."
9b. "I often don't take my care to work." (9a implies less often than 9b) - at least to me. The context in which these sentences are used probably makes the difference.

I tend to agree with you, but these nuances only work when the speaker/writer and the listener/reader have the same thought pattern.

Status
Not open for further replies.