Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Do the following 'G-Tea' and 'D-Tea' each refer to 'ginger tea' and 'Danish tea'? Then Ginger-tea ginger biscuit? It seems strange. And what does 'soak up' mean in the context?

I looked up at the wall of the factory cafe and there were some new items on the menu.

* Chocolate teapot: small 2.59 pounds
* Add a G-Tea ginger biscuit: + 79p
* Add a D-Tea Danish pastry: + 1.89 pound

Now that I saw it, the pastry did sound like a tempting way to soak up some of the tea.

Thank you.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
My first thought is that a "chocolate teapot" is pretty useless. I certainly wouldn't pay £2.59 for it - it will melt as soon as you pour boiling water into it.

Where is this factory? Are you sure it said what you wrote? We don't write "2.59 pounds" or "1.89 pound". We write £2.59 or £1.89.

We don't dip Danish pastries into cups of tea. We do dip biscuits into tea.

I don't know for sure what "G-Tea" and "D-Tea" are supposed to mean but I would guess that whoever wrote the price list has given the combinations of tea and biscuit/pastry new names.

G-Tea = a cup of tea and a ginger biscuit
D-Tea = a cup of tea and a Danish pastry

unpakwon

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Thank you for the help.

Let me provide you with the related context on 'chocolate teapot'.

"Along the way you'll read the story of a unique business: the Chocolate Teapot Company. This is a company which used pricing strategies to create a whole new product category, ... and make big profits by understanding the psychology of its customers. It's also a fictional company, so don't expect to see chocolate teapots on the shelves of your local supermarket any time soon -- but everything that happens in this book is based on real examples from other businesses."

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Let me provide you with the related context on 'chocolate teapot'.
You didn't.

When we ask for context, we mean the situation /words surrounding the the words you are asking us about that are immediately relevant to those words.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
We need to know why the sign in the factory restaurant said "Chocolate teapot", costing £2.59 for a small one. It doesn't make any sense. I don't think they can possibly be selling a chocolate teapot - that would be ridiculous. It could be a teapot filled with hot chocolate.

Did you really see this sign? Is it really in a factory where you work?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
The text says that it's a fictional company and that we are unlikely to find a chocolate teapot in the local supermarket.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm lost. I'm still trying to work out if the OP actually saw this sign or if the entire piece has been taken from the same text as the stuff about a chocolate teapot in the local supermarket.

unpakwon

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
The text says the Chocolate Teapot Company is a fictional company, so I'm sure the teapot is also a fictional product and the factory cafe is a fictional cafe, and the situation is a fictional situation, and so on. But according to the book, there really existed companies, products, cafes, and situations similar to the above mentioned.
The following related passage is from the chapter discussing about 'upselling.'

"When someone has bought the product or is in the process of buying it, you can then offer them extra items that satisfy the missing values. As these are optional, you can set a high margin on them without increasing the perceived price point of the core product. Even if only a small proportion of customers choose to take up the optional item, you are likely to increase margins significantly.
Take one of your key products and list in the table below the values that it satisfies. For each value where it is strong, look at what new item you could add to intensify this value. For example, a chocolate biscuit to intensify the 'sweetness' value of a teapot, or a head massage to intensify the 'pampering' value of a haircut.
Then look at values where the product is weak, and look at what you could offer that might improve the product on those dimensions."

So in the original quoted text, the chocolate teapot is a core product, and the ginger biscuit is the added product that intensifies or complements the key product.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
They look like invented names for companies, supposedly the manufacturers of the biscuit and pastry. They often use unimaginative names or ones that contain a hint of a joke- we have an expression for something useless that is as much use as a chocolate teapot.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You know, you could always eat a chocolate teapot. It's not entirely useless.

Status
Not open for further replies.