Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I've noticed that in texts written by native speakers they sometimes don't say his/her/one's own. That made me do the same thing when I was translating an article.

Here's is the sentence that made me think about it (my translation):
He is trying different techniques: drawing with graphite, experimenting in the style of abstraction, attempting to come up with own techniques.

The thing is in the Russian text they do not say "HIS own", as if trying to show that this holds for any artist, not just this guy.

I've done some research online and would like to share with you one of the results of my search:
Empowering people to come up with own solutions would be a far more enriching policy than spreading the propaganda that it’s the government’s role to improve people’s lot.

The article is written by Greg Canavan. What I want to know is whether (although it might be grammatically wrong) my usage of this collocation will be accepted by native speakers (Americans). I appreciate your input.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I would understand it, but would wonder why the speaker chose to tamper with our established idiom. Having said "he" the speaker is obliged to say "his". Why choose to omit "his": I haven't the slightest idea.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I've noticed that in texts written by native speakers they sometimes don't say his/her/one's own. That made me do the same thing when I was translating an article.

Here's is the sentence that made me think about it (my translation):
He is trying different techniques: drawing with graphite, experimenting in the style of abstraction, attempting to come up with own techniques.

The thing is in the Russian text they do not say "HIS own", as if trying to show that this holds for any artist, not just this guy.

I've done some research online and would like to share with you one of the results of my search:
Empowering people to come up with own solutions would be a far more enriching policy than spreading the propaganda that it’s the government’s role to improve people’s lot.

The article is written by Greg Canavan. What I want to know is whether (although it might be grammatically wrong) my usage of this collocation will be accepted by native speakers (Americans). I appreciate your input.

I assume that the sentence from Greg Canavan was an error. The word "their" was omitted before "own".

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
They enjoy team culture, but are also able to work independently and think out-side the box to come up with own solutions to reach required outcomes.
My boss encourages us to problem solve and come up with own solutions so we are not always bound to out of date procedures, this way productivity is sky high and we get praise and a pay rise.

There are some more examples online. I'm getting a bit upset with this now :oops:. I've submitted my translation already. The firm is a Russian company. They do speak some English. They haven't asked me about it yet. Should I just go ahead and let them know that in my sentence

it should be HIS own techniques

?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Yes, it should be "his own techniques".

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
They enjoy team culture, but are also able to work independently and think out-side the box to come up with own solutions to reach required outcomes.
My boss encourages us to problem solve and come up with own solutions so we are not always bound to out of date procedures, this way productivity is sky high and we get praise and a pay rise.

There are some more examples online. I'm getting a bit upset with this now :oops:. I've submitted my translation already. The firm is a Russian company. They do speak some English. They haven't asked me about it yet. Should I just go ahead and let them know that in my sentence

it should be HIS own techniques

?

I do not find "own" without the possessive to be grammatical.

Status
Not open for further replies.