Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Is 'fancy' used equally frequently in British and American English with the same meaning? (I am asking because I noticed that in dictionaries most meanings of 'fancy' are often marked as British English)
1) Fancy! Fancy that!
2) Fancy her wearing a dress like that at the party!
3) Fancy riding a bike in winter!
4) He fancies going abroad in the summer.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Is 'fancy' used equally frequently in British and American English with the same meaning? (I am asking because I noticed that in dictionaries most meanings of 'fancy' are often marked as British English)
1) Fancy! Fancy that!
Why would dictionaries have marked these phrases as BrE if they are used equally in AmE?

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain

That's is indeed something some of us actually do. Not wannabes, of course, but true, hard-boiled bikers!! ;-)

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
1) Fancy! Fancy that!
"fancy" anything is not common in the US. It is sometimes used in a sarcastic manner "Well fancy that, a red coat and a black hat."

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
In that case, the dictionaries are right- we do use it in BrE.

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
"fancy" anything is not common in the US. It is sometimes used in a sarcastic manner "Well fancy that, a red coat and a black hat."

I am afraid I didn't get it - which of the following examples are NOT used in American English? Is it only the first one that is used in AmE?

1) Fancy! Fancy that!

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am afraid I didn't get it - which of the following examples are NOT used in American English? Is it only the first one that is used in AmE?

1) Fancy! Fancy that!
Allow me to clarify this for you. In common American speech "fancy" is not used in the way presented here. "fancy", in the US, means something overly done. For example, "She has such a fancy automobile. I would go to the dance but it is too fancy for me." From my understanding "fancy" in British English means imagine - Fancy that = Imagine that. Of course, "fancy" is sometimes used in the US the same as it is in England. In addition, in my neighborhood, I can hear phrases in: Spanish, German, some Russian, Southern American (y'all come now, ya hear), as well as Appalachian English. The point I made in an earlier posting is that "fancy" (the British version as discussed above) is not common in the US.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
1. I don't think we need to. The answer would have to be that they believe from their research that it is true. My question was rhetorical.
2. Of course, but by "dictionaries" I was referring to those the OP quotes as saying they do. And by "they", you are referring only to those which do not say this. So, either "dictionaries" aren't "dictionaries", or the word must be understood in the context in which it's used.

Without wishing to appear to be taking your post more seriously than you intended, in English, we often say things like, "How can people watch this rubbish on TV?" What we mean is, "How can the people who watch this rubbish on TV watch this rubbish on TV." Demonstrating that some people don't is not proof that those that do don't, and it is these latter that "people" refers to in the original.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.