Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
"Less-than-stellar grade notwithstanding, I am a firm believer that academic results do not accurately reflect one’s actual abilities and life skills."

Is this usage of notwithstanding used appropriately? I want to convey that i'm a firm beliver that academic results don't accurately reflect one's ability despite the fact that I do not have straight As results and i'm not using that as an "excuse". I'm writing a college application letter right now.

Appreciate any help I can get, thank you! :)

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

"Less-than-stellar grade notwithstanding, I am a firm believer that academic results do not accurately reflect one’s actual abilities and life skills."

First you need to add "my", or some other identifier. I assume the grades are yours.
"My less-than-stellar grades notwithstanding, ..."

Is this usage of notwithstanding used appropriately? No.
I want to convey that i'm a firm beliver that academic results don't accurately reflect one's ability despite the fact that I do not have straight As results and i'm not using that as an "excuse". I'm writing a college application letter right now.

Appreciate any help I can get, thank you! :)
I suppose you've looked up "notwithstanding" in the dictionary and know that it means something like "despite".
1. "Despite my less than stellar grades, I am a firm believer that grades don't reflect ability."
But the sentence is illogical. It would be more appropriate to use that if you grades were stellar.
2. "My stellar grades nothwithstanding, I firmly believe that grades don't reflect ability." That is, "Despite the fact that my own grades are very good, I still don't believe that grades reflect ability."
There is nothing "notwithstanding" about your original clause.

Also, if you're honestly writing a college application, I'd suggest you capitalise and punctuate where appropriate, and not draw undue attention to your grades - notwithstanding that you, personally, don't find them important. It won't help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.