• Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

Post Meaning of the sentence in paragraph

Hello,

I didn't understand the underlined sentence.

“At three o’clock precisely I was at Baker Street, but Holmes had not yet returned. The landlady informed me that he had left the house shortly after eight o’clock in the morning. I sat down beside the fire, however, with the intention of awaiting him, however long he might be. I was already deeply interested in his inquiry, for, though it was surrounded by none of the grim and strange features which were associated with the two crimes which I have already recorded, still, the nature of the case and the exalted station of his client gave it a character of its own. Indeed, apart from the nature of the investigation which my friend had on hand, there was something in his masterly grasp of a situation, and his keen, incisive reasoning, which made it a pleasure to me to study his system of work, and to follow the quick, subtle methods by which he disentangled the most inextricable mysteries. So accustomed was I to his invariable success that the very possibility of his failing had ceased to enter into my head.”

In particular I didn't understand the structure of "for.....still".

Thank you very much.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Meaning of the sentence in paragraph

Quote Originally Posted by mutena24 View Post
    I was already deeply interested in his inquiry, -- I was interested in the case he was working on

for, though it was surrounded by none of the grim and strange features which were associated with the two crimes which I have already recorded, -- it wasn't like his other two cases that I have already written about

still, the nature of the case and the exalted station of his client -- but there was something interesting about it and someone important/powerful had hired him

gave it a character of its own. -- it was interesting in its own way

In particular I didn't understand the structure of "for.....still". -- even though it wasn't like the other two cases

Thank you very much.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.