Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. Yourjones
    Guest
    #1

    Where are the blue and the green?

    Hi,

    I am standing at the red spot.

    1. Where is the blue building, and where is the green building taking reference of the road-crossing?
    2. How can I get to the two buildings from where I am respectively? Suppose the North is on the top if necessary.

    Thanks a lot!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot_2014-02-19-16-13-44-2.jpg  

  2. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    #2

    Re: Where are the blue and the green?

    Quote Originally Posted by Yourjones View Post
    Hi,

    I am standing at the red spot.

    1. Where is the blue building, and where is the green building taking reference of the road-crossing?
    2. How can I get to the two buildings from where I am respectively? Suppose the North is on the top if necessary.

    Thanks a lot!
    Both the green and blue buildings are just south of the intersection.

    To get to the blue building: walk south through the intersection and continue straight ahead to the blue building.
    To get to the green building: walk south through the intersection, then turn right and cross the street, then turn left and walk straight ahead to the green building.

  3. Yourjones
    Guest
    #3

    Re: Where are the blue and the green?

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    Both the green and blue buildings are just south of the intersection.

    To get to the blue building: walk south through the intersection and continue straight ahead to the blue building.
    To get to the green building: walk south through the intersection, then turn right and cross the street, then turn left and walk straight ahead to the green building.
    If I say "The blue building is across the intersection", then can I say "The green building is at the furthest corner of the intersection"? I am almost sure this doesn't make sense. But if I cannot find where the North is (sorry about this), how can I describe where the green building is in relation to where I am (the red spot) taking reference of the intersection? Thanks a lot!

  4. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    #4

    Re: Where are the blue and the green?

    Quote Originally Posted by Yourjones View Post
    If I say "The blue building is across the intersection", then can I say "The green building is at the furthest corner of the intersection"? I am almost sure this doesn't make sense. But if I cannot find where the North is (sorry about this), how can I describe where the green building is in relation to where I am (the red spot) taking reference of the intersection? Thanks a lot!
    The green building does not appear to be on the corner (hard to tell). If you don't know the compass directions, you could say the green building is across the street from where you are and past the intersection.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 12,310
    #5

    Re: Where are the blue and the green?

    I think the original poster is looking for "catty-corner."

  5. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    #6

    Re: Where are the blue and the green?

    Quote Originally Posted by SoothingDave View Post
    I think the original poster is looking for "catty-corner."
    Or kitty-corner. Possibly, but that would work better for me if both locations were on the corner.

  6. Yourjones
    Guest
    #7
    Thank you so much! That is what I was looking for. I'll say "The blue building is across the street/intersection from where we are. Whereas the green building is catty-corner from us." Thanks again for your help. Much appreciated.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Jun 2010
    • Posts: 24,479
    #8

    Re: Where are the blue and the green?

    They are too far from the corners to be catty/kitty corner (BE diagonally opposite).

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 12,310
    #9

    Re: Where are the blue and the green?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover_KE View Post
    They are too far from the corners to be catty/kitty corner (BE diagonally opposite).
    Yeah, but it's a better explanation than any other. Catty-corner and a little ways down.

  7. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #10

    Re: Where are the blue and the green?

    Mike's "If you don't know the compass directions, you could say the green building is across the street from where you are and past the intersection" seems clear enough to me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. green area/ green space/ greenway?
    By moonlike in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-Sep-2012, 07:47
  2. with red, blue, green, yellow cats
    By kachibi in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 19-Aug-2012, 16:18
  3. Adjectives+colors, e.g.light green, dark blue.
    By Inna 7 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-Aug-2012, 22:26
  4. Adjectives+colors, e.g.light green, dark blue.
    By Inna 7 in forum Teaching English
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-Aug-2012, 22:26
  5. [Grammar] 'green color' or 'green-colored' plus noun?
    By Heidi in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 20-Jun-2011, 11:11

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •