What does to polish language mean exactly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZOEYW

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hey there,

My professor told me to further polish my language skills? What exactly does he mean? Judy to improve the skills or something else?

thanks,

Boris Tatarenko

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Is your profile information correct?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
My professor told me to further polish my language skills? What exactly does he mean? Judy to improve the skills or something else

He probably means that you need to work on all the little errors and refinements needed to smarten up your English rather than the basics.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hey there,

My professor told me to further polish my language skills? What exactly does he mean? Judy to improve the skills or something else?

thanks,
I doubt whether he means anything specific. He just wants you to improve your English. "To further polish your language skills" is likely to be a euphemism.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
May it be "Just" instead of "Judy"? The "s" key is next to the "d" key; and "t", "y".

I already suspected it was a typo or a predictive text "correction". I really wanted to get the OP to acknowledge and explain/rectify the error.

ZOEYW

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I just want to learn what the emphasis of the usage of the word instead of the general idea that he is telling me to improve my English. Thanks.

Why do you think there was any emphasis put on the word. We simply use the word "polish" sometimes to mean "improve". The only extra information I can add to that is that it normally refers to improving something that is already quite good. If your English were terrible, the teacher would be unlikely to tell you to polish it.

Status
Not open for further replies.