Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
We can use either of the sentences, can't we? Do they need different context to use?

The child was heard singing an English song.
The child was heard to be singing an English song.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Both are sufficiently common to be considered correct standard English. But the second one somehow troubles me slightly. Is is Irish dialect, or perhaps Indian dialect? Is is used in some special context? Is it perhaps an older usage? I don't know. All I know is that the I would use the first knowing it to be rock solid, and harbouring a vague doubt about the appropriate context in which to use the second.

Peter Chan

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Philippines
Both are sufficiently common to be considered correct standard English. But the second one somehow troubles me slightly. Is is Irish dialect, or perhaps Indian dialect? Is is used in some special context? Is it perhaps an older usage? I don't know. All I know is that the I would use the first knowing it to be rock solid, and harbouring a vague doubt about the appropriate context in which to use the second.
Is it also correct to write
"I heard the child singing",
"I have heard the child singing"
"I heard people saying..."
" I have heard people saying..."

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Please do not hijack threads by asking about the structure of the question or something unrelated to the original poster's question. Start a new thread, please.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.