• Thai
      • Home Country:
      • Thailand
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand

• Post Thanks / Like

tracked

Hello,

I am now so confused by the word "tracked". The writer used "tracked" everywhere like:

1) Our society has become more tracked.
    2) If you followed the advice in the movie ("plastic" in The Graduate in 1969), you would have done really well in the 70 and 80. That was the tracked career type thing then.
    3) The US has been a very stable place, where the right thing to do has been this super-tracked, predictable path. It worked really well.
    4) The people who did really tracked career in the late sixties ended up having very successful careers. Because we had this very stable society, there weren't as many people competing in those professional careers, and so forth. Today it's the exact opposite. Everyone is trying to do something that's hyper-tracked, and yet the reality is that we are in this much more chaotic, crazy world in the next few decades. You want to do something where it is not tracked, and you can be adaptable.

From my understanding, "tracked" here sounds something people done, you know like the road taken. So can we replace "tracked" by "popular"? But how the people who did "tracked" career would be successful because there was not many competitions in their careers? If lot of people are in the same career, the competition should be high, right? So, maybe tracked does not mean "popular", then what it could be.

It sounds to me that the writer tries to say that you should do something unique, not followed the road lot of people taken. Do you think my understanding is correct?

Thank you,
    Beeja

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: tracked

Please quote your sources. You need to tell us where you found those four example sentences/excerpts.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

• Post Thanks / Like

Please state the source and author of your quotation.

(Cross-posted with ems.)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Thai
      • Home Country:
      • Thailand
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand

• Post Thanks / Like

It's from the book titled "The Education of Millionaire" by Michael Ellsberg but I didn't quote the whole text, see http://tinyurl.com/llgb3aq

However, the content for question no. 1 is not on Google Books, so I typed for your reference.

"There's something weird about a system where it's all credentials, and everybody knows it's credentials, and it's sort of like the Wizard of Oz who's hiding behind the curtain. I think formal education has become very status oriented, and very far substantively from what people are interested in accomplishing in their lives and the world. And it's gotten worse as our society has become more tracked."

Thank you.
    Last edited by beeja; 23-Feb-2014 at 16:02.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by beeja View Post
    From my understanding, "tracked" here sounds something people done, you know like the road taken. So can we replace "tracked" by "popular"? But how the people who did "tracked" career would be successful because there was not many competitions in their careers? If lot of people are in the same career, the competition should be high, right? So, maybe tracked does not mean "popular", then what it could be.

It sounds to me that the writer tries to say that you should do something unique, not followed the road lot of people taken. Do you think my understanding is correct?
    I think you got the right idea about it being like a road, but I don't think that you could use popular as a replacement. In the past, people had clear directions and paths to take for professional advancement, and those who followed these paths did well and were successful. Nowadays people are trying to do this and following more rigid paths, but that is not working because life is more chaotic, so we should look for things that don't have rigid career paths to follow.