Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
United States
Hello,
How are you everybody?
I studied these 2 grammar, but I couldn't understand what is the difference between them-I mean in use-?
I know how to form each one, but why should I use past continues instead of past simple?
In other way, when should I use each on of these grammar?
i tried to learn about that by youtube and other sites, but I couldn't understand.
Could you please help me?
Thank you very much.:up:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Re: Past simple vs Past Continues

[STRIKE]Hello,
How are you everybody? [/STRIKE] Unnecessary

I have studied these [STRIKE]2[/STRIKE] two [STRIKE]grammar[/STRIKE] tenses (no comma required here) but I [STRIKE]couldn't[/STRIKE] can't/don't understand [STRIKE]what[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] the difference between them in terms of usage. [STRIKE]I mean in use-?[/STRIKE]

I know how to form each one, but why should I use past [STRIKE]continues[/STRIKE] continuous instead of past simple?
In other [STRIKE]way[/STRIKE] words, when should I use each [STRIKE]on of these grammar[/STRIKE] tense?

I have tried to learn about [STRIKE]that[/STRIKE] it [STRIKE]by[/STRIKE] on YouTube and other sites, but I couldn't understand it.
Could you please help me?
[STRIKE]Thank you very much.:up:[/STRIKE] Unnecessary. Thank us after we help you.

Please see my amendments to your post in red and note that I have edited your thread title to show "past continuous" (the correct name of the tense).

You say that you have studied and learnt about these tenses on YouTube and other sites. Don't you have a grammar book? Do you have an English teacher?

Try to write some sentences for us using the past simple and then some sentences using the past continuous and we will see where you are having problems.

Simple 0

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
United States

Please see my amendments to your post in red and note that I have edited your thread title to show "past continuous" (the correct name of the tense).

You say that you have studied and learnt about these tenses on YouTube and other sites. Don't you have a grammar book? Do you have an English teacher?

Try to write some sentences for us using the past simple and then some sentences using the past continuous and we will see where you are having problems.
Thank you for correct my mistakes.
I have an English teacher, but she doesn't explain any thing.she always asks us to read the book, and that's it!
These are my sentences:
-I was eating when she called me.
-While he was reading , she was dancing.
-When John talked to me , I was watching a movie.

Can I ask you about another thing?
why did you delete the comma before "but"?
I have studied these 2two grammartenses (no comma required here) but

sorry I'm beginner and I thought that I have to put a comma before these words:
For,And,Nor,But,Or,Yet and So.

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

In 1 & 3, you have a long action (eating/watching a movie that is interrupted. In 2, you have two long actions happening at the same time.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

I have an English teacher, but she doesn't explain any thing.she always asks us to read the book, and that's it!
These are my sentences:
While your teacher should do more than that, we here also expect you to read your grammar book.
Those are interesting sentences you've chosen to write. You seem to be particularly interested in how to use the tenses when one thing happens during the time that another thing is happening. Do you understand why the sentences you've written have the tenses they do?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

...I thought that I had to put a comma before these words:

for, and, nor, but, or, yet and so.

That is not correct. Only use a comma when there is a good reason to.

Simple 0

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
United States

In 1 & 3, you have a long action (eating/watching a movie that is interrupted. In 2, you have two long actions happening at the same time.
Thank you.

While your teacher should do more than that, we here also expect you to read your grammar book.
Those are interesting sentences you've chosen to write. You seem to be particularly interested in how to use the tenses when one thing happens during the time that another thing is happening. Do you understand why the sentences you've written have the tenses they do?
I already did.
actually I don't know if there are another uses for this grammar beside use the tenses when one thing happens during the time that another thing is happening.
I read something about using it to focus on the duration of a past action, not it's completion, but I didn't understand it until now.
Thank you

That is not correct. Only use a comma when there is a good reason to.
I will read about that.
Thank you.

Thank you all.

Status
Not open for further replies.