Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:hi:

In the first case, each is possessor; there are two lots of parents involved, and Nick and Jack need not be related. They may be school-mates, or friends, or cousins, but not brothers. Two apostrophes => two lots of parents.

In the second case, the possessor is a pair of brothers. One apostrophe => one lot of parents.

(It wasn't clear what you wanted explained, but I hope that does it ;-). Whatever you wanted explained, it wasn't yourself: for a general explanation, you could ask 'Could someone explain?' or ' Could someone explain the difference TO me?')

b

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
"Nick and Jack's parents" need not mean either one set or two sets of parents. It could mean Jack's parents and Nick (3 people).

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Nick and Jack could be a woman and man or two women. They are not necessarily men's (abbreviated) names.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"Nick and Jack's parents" need not mean either one set or two sets of parents. It could mean Jack's parents and Nick (3 people).
In that case I'd use a comma after Jack: 'Jack, and Nick's parents'. But I know my use of commas sometimes raises eyebrows. ;-) Anyway, intonation and/or context would make it clear.

b

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In that case I'd use a comma after Jack: 'Jack, and Nick's parents'. But I know my use of commas sometimes raises eyebrows. ;-) Anyway, intonation and/or context would make it clear.

b

I agree that your comma would make it a lot clearer. I would use the comma or I would reverse the order of the people and say "Nick's parents and Jack".

Status
Not open for further replies.