'the' in front of the name of an institution?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xupeng66

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
United States
Hi All,

This is a question that seems pretty trivial but has bother me for quite a long time. Do I need to use the article 'the' in front of a name of an institution?

For example, should I say: 'The Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution is a world renowned oceanic research institute.' or without 'the' at the beginning of the sentence?

Thanks!

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
They have their name twice on their homepage without the article, so I wouldn't use it, but if you prefer it with the article, you can use it- they use it once on the About page. If they're not consistent, I wouldn't worry.

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
I am not a teacher.

It's their name. The institution should decide whether they want "the" in front of it, not you.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi All,

This is a question that seems pretty trivial but has bother me for quite a long time. Do I need to use the article 'the' in front of a name of an institution?

For example, should I say: 'The Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution is a world renowned oceanic research institute.' or without 'the' at the beginning of the sentence?

Thanks!

I would not use the article.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
They have their name twice on their homepage without the article, so I wouldn't use it, but if you prefer it with the article, you can use it- they use it once on the About page. If they're not consistent, I wouldn't worry.
But that only solves the problem for organisations that have a web page. I think that using "the" as the default is less likely to cause trouble than leaving it out by default. In fact, we often use "the" even if it's not in the proper name.
"They sent me to the Mayo Clinic"; "I visited the Kremlin".

In Brisbane, we have (at least) two hospitals named after royalty - one with "the" and one without. Who can ever guess?
http://www.health.qld.gov.au/tpch/
http://www.health.qld.gov.au/pahospital/

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
That's a good point, and before I looked I would have gone for using the.

Status
Not open for further replies.