Student or Learner
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Australia
Hi Teachers,

I have some problems to understand this sentence.

"Because of the negative effects that global climate changes threatens to cause, finding ways to reduce CO2 levels has become very important in both the scientific and policy worlds."

1) "to cause" seems to be needed an object. ???
2) I have to read over this sentence more than twice to really understand what it means. If I change the sentence to be; "Finding ways to reduce CO2 levels has become very important in both the scientific and policy worlds because global climate changes threatens to cause the negative effects", is it easier to understand and does it give the same meaning?

Thank you for your advice

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hi Teachers,

I have some problems to understand this sentence.

"Because of the negative effects that global climate changes threatens to cause, finding ways to reduce CO2 levels has become very important in both the scientific and policy worlds."

1) "to cause" seems to be needed an object. ???
2) I have to read over this sentence more than twice to really understand what it means. If I change the sentence to be; "Finding ways to reduce CO2 levels has become very important in both the scientific and policy worlds because global climate changes threatens to cause the negative effects", is it easier to understand and does it give the same meaning?

Thank you for your advice

Where did you find that sentence. It contains several errors.

iboon14

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Australia
Where did you find that sentence. It contains several errors.

A literature review of CO 2 capture directly from ambient air

Joshua Fabian
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
In your version, delete the before negative effects. However, I don't see it as easier to read.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

1) "to cause" seems to [STRIKE]be[/STRIKE] need[STRIKE]ed[/STRIKE] an object. [STRIKE]???[/STRIKE]
The object of 'threatens to cause' is 'that', referring back to 'the negative effects'. The verb should be 'threaten', not 'threatens - its subject is 'global climate changes'.

Last edited:

iboon14

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Australia
In your version, delete the before negative effects. However, I don't see it as easier to read.

Why do we need to delete the before negative effects ? please advice.

I searched "to cause negative effects" in google and found 1,140,000 results but when I used "to cause the negative effects"; I found only 91,600 results.

What are the differences ? I know that "the" used in the specific situation but why can't I use in this sentence. and why a lot of people use "to cause negative effects" more than "to cause the negative effects".

Last edited:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I could live with "the" or could go without it. In this case, specific negative effects have been identified or alleged (depending on one's point of view). Because of that, "the" could be used.

bigC

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Philippines
The object of 'threatens to cause' is 'that', referring back to 'the negative effects'. The verb should be 'thraten', not 'threatens - its subject is 'global climate changes'.

I am not a teacher

Was "thraten" misspelt?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States