Student or Learner
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Australia

Hi Teachers,

I have a problem to identify an adjectival and adverbial modifier in a long sentence. Could you help me to check this, please?

"Geoengineering is seen by some in the science community and the general public as a necessary way to offset the negative effects of climate change, and by others as an extreme measure that should only be used if and when it becomes immediately obvious that taking no such action would cause harmful societal effects." ( A literature review of CO 2 capture directly from ambient air, Joshua Fabian, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering.)

"in the science community and the general public",a preposition phrase, is an adjectival modifier of "some".

"as a necessary way",a preposition phrase, is an adjectival modifier of "Geoengineering".

"to offset the negative effects of climate change", an infinitive phrase, is an adjectival modifier of "a necessary way".

"as an extreme measure", a preposition phrase, is an adjectival modifier of"Geoengineering".

"that should only be used", a relative clause, is an adjectival modifier of "an extreme measure".

"if and when it becomes immediately obvious", a relative clause, is an adverbial modifier of "used".

"that taking no such action would cause harmful societal effects", a relative clause, is an adverbial modifier of"obvious".

Thank you,

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
When do you have to submit this piece of work to your teacher/tutor?

iboon14

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Australia
Last edited:

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Hello, iboon14.:-D
I've found this.

I hope the link will shed some light on your query.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.