Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. Boris Tatarenko's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

    • Join Date: May 2013
    • Posts: 1,099
    #1

    It's so hilarious.

    I often hear a phrase "It's so hilarious". I just can't understand why people, who are native speakers, say "hilarious" instead of "hilariously".
    If I translate the phrase to Russian I must use an adverb, not an adjective.
    Is it acceptable in spoken English?

    I guess I can't draw a parallel between our languages in this case.
    Thanks.
    Please, correct all my mistakes. I should know English perfectly and if you show me my mistakes I will achieve my dream a little bit faster. A lot of thanks.

    Not a teacher nor a native speaker.

  2. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #2

    Re: It's so hilarious.

    After BE, we need an adjective: It is hilarious/tragic/annoying/beautiful.

  3. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,109
    #3

    Re: It's so hilarious.

    Quote Originally Posted by Boris Tatarenko View Post
    I often hear a phrase "It's so hilarious". I just can't understand why people, who are native speakers, say "hilarious" instead of "hilariously".
    If I translate the phrase to Russian I must use an adverb, not an adjective.
    Is it acceptable in spoken English?

    I guess I can't draw a parallel between our languages in this case.
    Thanks.
    Do you mean you modify the verb "to be" with an adverb.
    "A red door; The door is so redly."
    "A hilarious joke; The joke is so hilariously."
    "Some clever students; The students are so cleverly."

    Is that what you really mean?

  4. Roman55's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • France

    • Join Date: Feb 2014
    • Posts: 2,314
    #4

    Re: It's so hilarious.

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    Do you mean you modify the verb "to be" with an adverb.
    "A red door; The door is so redly."
    "A hilarious joke; The joke is so hilariously."
    "Some clever students; The students are so cleverly."

    Is that what you really mean?
    I am not a teacher.

    That's hilariously!

    But serious though, no one could real mean that.

  5. tzfujimino's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Dec 2007
    • Posts: 2,698
    #5

    Re: It's so hilarious.

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    Do you mean you modify the verb "to be" with an adverb.
    "A red door; The door is so redly."
    "A hilarious joke; The joke is so hilariously."
    "Some clever students; The students are so cleverly."

    Is that what you really mean?
    Hello.
    I'm not familiar with that construction in which "to be" is modified by an adverb, so I'd like to ask a question here.

    The joke is so hilariously.

    I don't really understand what the sentence above means.
    Is it understood as something like 'The joke is so hilariously (made?) that...'?
    Or is it something like 'The joke is (there?) so hilariously that...'?

    Thank you.

  6. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #6

    Re: It's so hilarious.

    Quote Originally Posted by tzfujimino View Post
    The joke is so hilariously.

    I don't really understand what the sentence above means.
    There's nothing to understand except that it is incorrect.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 57,934
    #7

    Re: It's so hilarious.

    Quote Originally Posted by tzfujimino View Post
    I'm not familiar with that construction in which "to be" is modified by an adverb, so I'd like to ask a question here.
    We don't do this in English. They may do it in Russian according to Boris.

  7. Boris Tatarenko's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

    • Join Date: May 2013
    • Posts: 1,099
    #8

    Re: It's so hilarious.

    I've never said "it is hilariously". But I didn't know why we don't say like that. Now I know the reason.
    Please, correct all my mistakes. I should know English perfectly and if you show me my mistakes I will achieve my dream a little bit faster. A lot of thanks.

    Not a teacher nor a native speaker.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 57,934
    #9

    Re: It's so hilarious.

    OK,so we don't do it in Russian either.

  8. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,921
    #10

    Re: It's so hilarious.

    Quote Originally Posted by Boris Tatarenko View Post
    I've never said "it is hilariously". But I didn't know why we don't say like that. Now I know the reason.
    No, but in your first post you said "I often hear a phrase "It's so hilarious". I just can't understand why people, who are native speakers, say "hilarious" instead of "hilariously"."

    That suggested to me that you thought "It is hilariously" should be the correct version.

    We understand that perhaps in Russian the sentence requires an adverb, but as you have seen, that is not the case in English.

    It is funny.
    It is very funny.
    It is hilarious.

    After "it is" (or any form of "to be" where a description follows), we need an adjective. It might have a modifier but there will be an adjective.

    It is hilariously awful.
    It is awfully funny.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Hilarious or Not?
    By Kenneth in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 14-Jan-2007, 12:58

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •