Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Is it always necessary to put a comma after "also" at the beginning of a sentence?
For example, how about the following sentence?

You need to bring A, B and C. Also, you might need D.

(I'm assuming that this "also" can be used in a formal document. Please tell me if it's better to use "furthermore", "moreover", etc.)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes, the comma is required when "also" appears at the beginning of the sentence. However, if you wrote "You might also need D" or "You might need D also" then no comma is required.

herbivorie

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Thank you.
Does the same go for "therefore"?
Is it necessary to put a comma after "therefore" at the beginning of a sentence?

For example,
All orders placed after 3pm EST will ship the next business day. Therefore,your "Order Date" and "Ship Date" may not be the same.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you.
Does the same go for "therefore"?
Is it necessary to put a comma after "therefore" at the beginning of a sentence?

For example,
All orders placed after 3pm EST will ship the next business day. Therefore, your "Order Date" and "Ship Date" may not be the same.

I would use the comma after "Therefore". Remember to put a space after a comma.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
There are cases where a comma is wrong after these words.
A story of a Senator who intends to contest the presidency may be following by: "Also vying for the top job is John Kerry, who threw his hat into the ring yesterday."
A discussion about the onerous duties of responsiblity may be followed by: "Therefore lies uneasy the head that wears the crown."

Last edited:

herbivorie

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
There are cases where a comma is wrong after these words.
A story of a Senator who intends to contest the presidency maybe be following by: "Also vying for the top job is John Kerry, who threw his hat into the ring yesterday."
A discussion about the onerous duties of responsiblity maybe be followed by: "Therefore lies uneasy the head that wears the crown."

Could you (or someone) tell me what the rule is regarding when to use a comma and when not to use a comma after "therefore" at the beginning of a sentence? I understand about "also", but I'm not sure about "therefore".

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Could you (or someone) tell me what the rule is regarding when to use a comma and when not to use a comma after "therefore" at the beginning of a sentence? I understand about "also", but I'm not sure about "therefore".
If you understand about 'also', you should also get 'therefore'.
Anyway, if the sentence doesn't make sense if you remove 'therefore', (as in my example), you probably shouldn't have a comma. The same applies to a lot of words, like 'Anyhow', 'Anyway', 'However'. They take a comma if they are simply linking words, as in my previous sentence. But they don't take a comma if they are integral parts of the sentence as in:
"Anyway you make it, I'm sure it will taste fine".
"However you make it, don't put too much salt in it."

Last edited by a moderator:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic