Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I can't do this exercise (it's not a homework).
I've been having problems with such kind of questions for my entire life and this text seems one of the hardest I've ever done. :-(

The Congress of the United States of America is an important part of the US federal government.
It's an assembly of elected representatives (A)____ but not to select the chief executive of the nation; that individual is elected by the people.
Congress is not a single organization; it's a vast an complex collection of organizations (B)____ and through which members of Congress form alliances.
(C)____, in which political parties are the only important kind of organization, parties are only one of many important units in Congress.
In fact other organizations have grown in nubmer (D) ____.
The Democrats and Republicans in the House and the Senate are organized by party leaders, (E)____ within the House and Senate, though the titles of various posts are different.
But leadership carries more power in the House than in the Senate because of the House rules. (F)____, the House must restrict debate and schedule its business with great carel thus who do the scheduling and who determine how the rules shall be applied usually have substantial influence.

1) as party influence has declined
2) against the spirit of the Constitution
3) being so large (435 members)
4) empowered to make laws
5) unlike the British Parliament
6) by which the business of Congress is carried on
7) who in turn are elected by the full party membership

(One choice is odd)

So, let's I show you my answers:

A - 7, B - 6, C - 5, D - 1, E - 3, F - 4.

I think my answers are wrong, but I really tried my best and now I give up. :cry:

I hope you will help me out with this exercise. I want to understand how to do such kind of questions.
I'm really sorry for asking this.

Last edited:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
This is a complex type of exercise, involving not only English, but an understanding of the US government as well.

Here are my answers:
A-4
B-2
C-5
D-1
E-7
F-3

I don't particularly like 2, but it's the only logical place the phrase fits.

A: The Congress writes laws. It is its essential function. That would be the first thing a person would say about it. It is elected by the people voting in their states (for senator) or their districts (for house member). They are not elected by "the full party membership." Everyone can vote in a general election. You do not have to be a member of any political party to vote.

B: There are no mentions of parties or other "organizations" within Congress in the Constitution. Only that there will be a Speaker of the House. I wouldn't say that this goes against the "spirit of the Constitution," but this is the best answer here.

C: The British Parliament is much more party-oriented, apparently.

D: The contrast between party and other organization above makes this answer sensible. Party influence wanes and other types of organization grow.

E: It is the leaders of each party in each chamber of the Congress that are elected by the members of that chamber in that party.

F: The House has 435 members.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
The Congress of the United States of America is an important part of the US federal government.
It's an assembly of elected representatives (A) empowered to make laws but not to select the chief executive of the nation; that individual is elected by the people.
Congress is not a single organization; it's a vast an complex collection of organizations (B) by which the business of Congress is carried on and through which members of Congress form alliances.
(C) unlike the British Parliament, in which political parties are the only important kind of organization, parties are only one of many important units in Congress.
In fact other organizations have grown in nubmer (D) as party influence has declined.
The Democrats and Republicans in the House and the Senate are organized by party leaders, (E) who in turn are elected by the full party membership within the House and Senate, though the titles of various posts are different.
But leadership carries more power in the House than in the Senate because of the House rules. (F) being so large (435 members), the House must restrict debate and schedule its business with great carel thus who do the scheduling and who determine how the rules shall be applied usually have substantial influence.

2) against the spirit of the Constitution - (One choice is odd)

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I didn't see that there was an extra answer. So strike "2" for B, and insert 6.

Boris Tatarenko

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I really appreciate that you paid attention to my question.
I want to know one more thing "who in turn are elected by the full party memebership". What does a bold part mean?
Honestly, when you wrote down your answers this exercise seems quite easy, as usual. :-D

Last edited:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In the US, there are basically two political parties of any consequence. Every member of Congress is either a Republican or Democrat (except one "independent" congressman who works with the Democrats).

There are two chambers, or houses of Congress. The Senate, with 2 senators from each state (total 100); and the House of Representatives, whose 435 members are apportioned among the states according to population. Each state has 2 senators and at least one representative in the House.

Right now, the House has more Republicans than Democrats. All of the Republicans in the House vote for their leader, who becomes the Speaker of the House. The Democrats elect a minority leader.

In the Senate, the Democrats have a majority, so all the Democrat Senators elect a majority leader. The Republicans in the Senate elect a minority leader.

So all of the members of the party (within the House or Senate) elect the leaders of the party for that body.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I would have no hesitation in admitting that I don't know all those answers. It's a test of the your knowledge of the US political system more than an English test. I also doubt whether most Americans would get it right.

Status
Not open for further replies.