• Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

confusion regarding past tense

Hi guys,

I have a confusion, actually i read 2 sentences, 1) we sent you the information in order to make sure that you recieved it in time, 2) He spent all day in room lest he disturbes anyone, are both the sentences correct or not, if not, why?, if yes, why?, and if we are talking about past, then how would we know when we have to use past verb in the continuation like in 1 sentence(recieved), is there any special condition, or does it have anything to do with that.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • France

Re: confusion regarding past tense

I am not a teacher.

Sentence 1) would be better if it started with a capital letter and if "received" were spelled correctly.
    It would probably be an improvement if you simplified it. "We sent you the information so that you would receive it in time."

Sentence 2) should be, "He spent all day in the/his room lest he disturb anyone" Lest is followed by the subjunctive.

3. Key Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Quote Originally Posted by Roman55 View Post
    I am not a teacher.

Sentence 1) would be better if it started with a capital letter and if "received" were spelled correctly.
    It would probably be an improvement if you simplified it. "We sent you the information so that you would receive it in time."

Sentence 2) should be, "He spent all day in the/his room lest he disturb anyone" Lest is followed by the subjunctive.
    So, why don't we say lest he disturbed anyone, i think it should be in past, and please also tell whether past tense has anything to do with that.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Quote Originally Posted by tufguy View Post
    So, why don't we say lest he disturbed anyone, i think it should be in past, and please also tell whether past tense has anything to do with that.
    I have closed this thread since you continue to ignore our requests to use a capital letter for the pronoun 'I', and to attempt to break up your message into reasonable sentences. Any future posts in which you continue to ignore our requests will be deleted. There is no point in our trying to help you if you make no effort to improve your English.