Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I have a problem with using the word "variety". However, I have made some examples to clear my understanding.
"a variety of experts" (adj)
"various experts" (adj)
Are the both above same and correct?

Let me add them in a sentence to check my understanding.

"By attending educational conferences, I will be able to network with a variety of experts."

"By attending educational conferences, I will be able to network with various experts."

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have a problem with using the word "variety". However, I have made some examples to clear my understanding.
"a variety of experts" (adj)
"various experts" (adj)
Are the both above same and correct?

Let me add them in a sentence to check my understanding.

"By attending educational conferences, I will be able to network with a variety of experts."

"By attending educational conferences, I will be able to network with various experts."

There is no significant difference.

kite

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hmm! My understanding seems to be correct. I have noticed another one; "a number of" "numerous" and I am clear with that. But I have a doubt. Well! Varieties is the plural of variety. I think "varieties" is used quite differently. Suppose if I say "I will be able to meet varieties of experties at the meeting.", am I correct?

This is actually I am asking because I want to be clear with the usage of the word "variety".

Thanks.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hmm! My understanding seems to be correct. I have noticed another one; "a number of" "numerous" and I am clear with that. But I have a doubt. Well! Varieties is the plural of variety. I think "varieties" is used quite differently. Suppose if I say "I will be able to meet varieties of experties at the meeting.", am I correct?

[strike]This is actually[/strike] I am asking because I want to be clear with the usage of the word "variety".

Thanks.

"Varieties of experts" is very unnatural, you are right.

I will be able to meet various experts.
I will be able to meet a variety of experts.

We don't talk about experts in terms of "varieties". We have "types/kinds" of experts.

Note that you wrote "varieties of experties" in your original. I assume this was a typo for "experts" and that you weren't trying to write "expertise".

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Just to be clear, I see nothing wrong with "a variety of experts". "Varieties of experts" is not very natural as emrs posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.