Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
This is one of my comprehenion test questions. The given answer is C. But I would think A might be the answer, in which excited means nervous and upset so that one cannot relax. Am I right?

One day, when I was working as a psychologist in England,an adolescent boy showed up in my office. It was David. He kept walking up and down restlessly, his face pale, and his hands shaking slightly. His head teacher had referred him to me. "This boy has lost his family," he wrote. "He is understandably very sad and refuses to talk to others, and I'm very worried about him. Can you help?”
I looked at David and showed him to a chair. How could I help him? There are problems psychology doesn’t have the answer to, and which no words can describe. Sometimes the best thing one can do is to listen openly and sympathetically.
When he first met the author, David .
A. felt a little excited
B. walked energetically
C. looked a little nervous
  D. showed up with his teacher

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
This is one of my comprehenion test questions. The given answer is C. But I would think A might be the answer, in which excited means nervous and upset so that one cannot relax. Am I right?

One day, when I was working as a psychologist in England,an adolescent boy showed up in my office. It was David. He kept walking up and down restlessly, his face pale, and his hands shaking slightly. His head teacher had referred him to me. "This boy has lost his family," he wrote. "He is understandably very sad and refuses to talk to others, and I'm very worried about him. Can you help?”
I looked at David and showed him to a chair. How could I help him? There are problems psychology doesn’t have the answer to, and which no words can describe. Sometimes the best thing one can do is to listen openly and sympathetically.
A. felt a little excited
B. walked energetically

I think it is a bad question. B is also a possibility.

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
This is one of my [STRIKE]comprehenion [/STRIKE] comprehension test questions. The given answer is C. But I would think A might be the answer, in which excited means nervous and upset so that one cannot relax. Am I right?

A. felt a little excited
B. walked energetically
Given the choice between "excited" and "nervous" I would select "nervous". Someone who is excited may have a ruddy complexion but probably not have a pale one. Actually, I would say that David looked nervous or very nervous. I don't believe that "looked a little nervous" fully describes his condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.