Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Dear English gurus, I am practicing for my upcoming IELTS exam, specially, for essay writing part. As a summary of an essay, I came up with following paragraphs. Please help me correct any grammatical errors, if any.

"The issue with such complexities, it is unlikely to have a mantra in order to come to grips with it in a short span of time. However, we must not turn away and be indifferent to such an issue which poses a serious threat to the stability of our society."

Thanks in advance.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"The issue with such complexities (no comma here) is that it is unlikely to have a mantra in order to [strike]come[/strike] get to grips with it in a short span of time. However, we must not turn away and be indifferent to such an issue which poses a serious threat to the stability of our society."

Thanks in advance.

I don't know what your paragraph means but I have made some changes. I couldn't make clear one confusion or change with the first section. What is "it" supposed to refer to in "it is unlikely to have a mantra" and "get to grips with it". If it refers to "the issue", then you've referred back to the wrong word. If it was meant to refer to "complexities", then "it" should be "they" because "complexities" is plural. Perhaps "complexities" should have been "a complex issue".

shanghailuv

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I don't know what your paragraph means but I have made some changes. I couldn't make clear one confusion or change with the first section. What is "it" supposed to refer to in "it is unlikely to have a mantra" and "get to grips with it". If it refers to "the issue", then you've referred back to the wrong word. If it was meant to refer to "complexities", then "it" should be "they" because "complexities" is plural. Perhaps "complexities" should have been "a complex issue".
Thank you for your time.

I was supposed to give more details to make it clearer. Apologies.

Background: the essay is about 'crime' in our society. So, in above paragraph, the issue in the sentence "The issue with such complexities.." points to "crime". And "it" in "it is unlikely to have a mantra" is nothing but a subject for the sentence. (I do not know how to call such subjects"). and "it" in "..in order to get to grips with it" refers to "crime".

What about writing in this way then:

"For such a complex issue, it is unlikely to have a mantra in order to get to grips with in a short span of time. However, we must not turn away and be indifferent to such an issue which poses a serious threat to the stability of our society."

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Thank you for your time.

I was supposed to give more details to make it clearer. Apologies.

Background: the essay is about 'crime' in our society. So, in above paragraph, the issue in the sentence "The issue with such complexities.." points to "crime". And "it" in "it is unlikely to have a mantra" is nothing but a subject for the sentence. (I do not know how to call such subjects"). and "it" in "..in order to get to grips with it" refers to "crime".

What about writing in this way then:

"For such a complex issue, it is unlikely to have a mantra in order to get to grips with in a short span of time. However, we must not turn away and be indifferent to such an issue which poses a serious threat to the stability of our society."

"...it is unlikely to have a mantra in order to get to grips with in a short span of time." This makes no sense to me.

shanghailuv

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
"...it is unlikely to have a mantra in order to get to grips with in a short span of time." This makes no sense to me.

I would correct it to this then:

"It is unlikely to have a mantra in order to get to grips with such a complex issue in a short span of time. However, we must not turn away and be indifferent to such an issue which poses a serious threat to the stability of our society."

Is better now? :)

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I would correct it to this then:

"It is unlikely to have a mantra in order to get to grips with such a complex issue in a short span of time. However, we must not turn away and be indifferent to such an issue which poses a serious threat to the stability of our society."

Is better now? :)

No. What do you mean by "It is unlikely to have a mantra"?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Do you mean "There is unlikely to be a mantra ..."? What do you understand "mantra" to mean?

shanghailuv

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Do you mean "There is unlikely to be a mantra ..."? What do you understand "mantra" to mean?

I guess I spotted the mistakes in my sentence. "mantra" here, I am taking it as a method to solve a problem.

In other way, I would put the above sentence like this: "It is impossible to have a single solution to get to grips with such a complex issue in a short span of time. However......"

Is this sentence better?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Much better, although you have now changed "unlikely" to "impossible" so you have changed the meaning. However, note that you can't just change the two over in your new sentence because "It is unlikely to have ..." doesn't work. You would have to say something like "It is unlikely that there is a single solution ...".

Status
Not open for further replies.