• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

by? of?

The nationís three military academies have seen a dramatic rise in applications, one fueled by a resurgence of patriotism, increasing tuition costs at private colleges, and improved recruiting by the academies.

To the word by, I feel very very strange. I feel of should be used here but not by.
    Is my opinion right? Sincere thanks!!!

ps: Just a moment ago I discussed the problem with one Chinese and it's a pity that he didn't understand by either.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: by? of?

If I just dug a hole in the ground, the hole was dug by me, not of me. The improved recruiting was done by the academies.
    Last edited by 5jj; 08-Mar-2014 at 10:14. Reason: Non-essential QUOTE deled.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

If I am Coco‘s rival and we compete in digging holes, as a result I dig 6 holes and Coco digs 5 holes.
    Thus the 6 holes belond to me and those 5 holes belond to Coco, then can I say
    dodonaomik's holes are more than Coco's?

Similarly, the recruiting was improved by the academies and it's obvious that the improved recruiting belonds to them. Thus I feel it's very natural to say "the improved recruiting of the academies are very attractive. "

Is my opinion wrong?
    Last edited by 5jj; 08-Mar-2014 at 10:15. Reason: Non-essential QUOTE deleted

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by dodonaomik View Post
    If I am Coco‘s rival and we compete in digging holes, as a result I dig 6 holes and Coco digs 5 holes.
    Thus the 6 holes belong to me and those 5 holes belong to Coco, then can I say
    dodonaomik's holes are more than Coco's? It would be more natural to say "dodonaomik has dug more holes than Coco".

Similarly, the recruiting was improved by the academies and it's obvious that the improved recruiting belongs to them. Thus I feel it's very natural to say "the improved recruiting of the academies are very attractive. "

Is my opinion wrong?
    Yes, your opinion is wrong.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Quote Originally Posted by Gillnetter View Post
    If I just dug a hole in the ground, the hole was dug by me, not of me. The improved recruiting was done by the academies.
    Suddenly I thought of Newton's laws of motion and Ptolemy's theorem. Of course, before Newton and Ptolemy
    found them, they had existed objectively.
    What's the difference between the laws/theorem and hole/improved recruiting?
    Are the laws and theorem unique? Are the holes and improved recruiting not unique but very common things?

( Originally in my eye if I hadn't dug those 6 holes, how they appear in the world now? So those 6 holes belong to me... ....dodonaomik's 6 holes.)
    Last edited by dodonaomik; 08-Mar-2014 at 14:11.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

In 'recruiting of X', X is being recruited, not doing the recruiting.

The recruiting/recruitment of graduates by the armed forces has increased in recent years.
    The digging of holes by young children is a natural activity.
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 08-Mar-2014 at 15:22. Reason: minor typo