• Thread starter Yourjones
  • Start date
  • Views : 3,428
Status
Not open for further replies.
Y

Yourjones

Hi,

Do I have to say "There is a pair of trousers on the bathroom counter. THEY need cleaning"? Can't I say "It needs cleaning?" In spoken English?

Thanks.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I'd probably say 'they'.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
In spoken English, you can say many things. It could sound more like a slip of tongue than an error, but it wouldn't sound natural to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Yes - I think 'they' would be the much more common reference. I think the plural 's' of trousers makes us use a plural pronoun, even though the noun (a pair) is singular.

Often, with phrases like this, such as 'a group of people' or 'a set of saucepans', we use the plural form of the verb - 'are'- despite the noun phrase being singular. I used to think that this shows that the speaker conceives the thing to be plural in nature. Similarly, we say things like 'the police are coming' and 'Chelsea are beating Liverpool'.

However, in the case of 'a pair of trousers', I guess that most people would consider this as a single item, so therefore the choice of 'they' doesn't make sense. Maybe, as I said, the presence of 's' overrides the concept of singularity in the speaker's mind.

Any further thoughts on this?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have no idea why we say "pair of pants" or "pair of trousers". That is what doesn't make sense. But using "they" makes sense to me. We normally use the plural pronoun to describe them. In AmE English we use "the police" as a plural noun, but we would say Chicago is beating New York. And, as Alan Sherman once sang in the song "One Hippopotami", half a pair of scissors is a "single scis". ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umlBrQoG6xk

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Good song! Thanks for the link.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Moderator’s Note.

The QUOTE feature can be very useful, but there is no need to QUOTE part/all of a previous post when it is clear what you are referring to. Over-use of this feature can makes threads unnecessarily long. Please QUOTE only if it clarifies what could be confusing, or if you are making corrections to the original text. Thank you.

5jj

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
'It' would sound very strange in AusE. I can't imagine it being used.

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
However, in the case of 'a pair of trousers', I guess that most people would consider this as a single item, so therefore the choice of 'they' doesn't make sense. Maybe, as I said, the presence of 's' overrides the concept of singularity in the speaker's mind.

Any further thoughts on this?

I am not a teacher.

It is exactly the same as a pair of glasses, which are always plural even though the grammatical subject is a pair.

Admittedly, there are two lenses but then again there are two legs in a pair of trousers.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Admittedly, there are two lenses but then again there are two legs in a pair of trousers.
And there are two sleeves on a shirt.

Status
Not open for further replies.