Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Netherlands
What's the synonym for "citizens"? I thought about "inhabitants" but I'm not sure whether it's the same.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Sorry - I deleted this post by mistake. 5jj

Last edited by a moderator:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
'Inhabitants' is not an exact synonym. I am an inhabitant of Prague, the capital of the Czech Republic, but I am a British citizen.

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
I am not a teacher.

I don't think that there is a satisfactory one-word synonym for "citizens"; it calls for more of an explanation.

The best I can think of is "nationals". The definition of citizen is "A legally recognized subject or national of a state or commonwealth, either native or naturalized". A native is a national and once a non-native has been naturalized he becomes one.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Thanks, tzfujomino, and apologies again to Rover.

ps: 'Subject' is a very close synonym for 'citizen for many purposes, in my opinion..

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
'Inhabitants' is not an exact synonym. I am an inhabitant of Prague, the capital of the Czech Republic, but I am a British citizen.

And yet, if you have a Czech resident's card, you might be considered a citizen of the Czech Republic but still a British national. The words "citizen(ship)" and "nationality" mean different things in different English dialects.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
What's the synonym for "citizens"? I thought about "inhabitants" but I'm not sure whether it's the same.
Your question is wrongly put. By asking about "the synonym", you are assuming (or asserting) that there is one, and only one, and that we should know it. A better question would be "What is a synonym for 'citizens' ..." and then adding the reason that 'citizens' doesn't work for your purposes, and giving relevant information about the type of word you want. Here are some synonyms:
http://thesaurus.com/browse/citizen

By the way, synonyms are not words that mean the same. They are words with similar meanings, which might be completely inappropriate in the wrong context.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Most dictionaries define synonym as a word having the same, or nearly the same meaning. I think that's a bit more than 'similar'.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Most dictionaries define synonym as a word having the same, or nearly the same meaning. I think that's a bit more than 'similar'.
Yes, 'synonym' is used in different ways. The main problem, as I see it, is that thesauruses all use the term 'synonym' to mean a word with a similar meaning in a certain context. By 'similar', I mean "alike but not identical", which I think means almost the same as "nearly the same" - depending on how you define 'almost' and 'nearly'. Of course, two words with completely identical meanings are also synonyms; I wasn't arguing against that.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/similar

Thesauruses would be very much shorter if they only listed synonyms in your sense. The link I posted above lists 'voter' and 'aborigine' as synonyms of 'citizen'. I'm sure you would agree that they don't mean the same. I'd hesitate to say that they mean "nearly the same".
But who should know what a synonym is if the editor of a thesaurus doesn't - including those who contribute to the thesauruses that are included in the same dictionaries which you say define 'synonym' differently.
Wikipedia includes similarity of meaning: "Synonyms ... are words with the same or similar meanings"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synonym
There are very few 'interchangeable' words in the language; the context is always relevant.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Citizens can vote.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Citizens can vote.
Not all citizens can vote. In Australia, you have to be 18 or over, just to mention one qualification. That leaves millions(?) of citizens here who are not voters.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Right, I wasn't thinking of minors, but rather of distinctions between "citizen" and "inhabitant."

Legal residents who are not citizens can not vote, serve on juries, or get drafted into the military.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Right, I wasn't thinking of minors, but rather of distinctions between "citizen" and "inhabitant."
Ah, I was wondering what point you were making. Thanks.
But this illustrates my concern about the whole synonym business. Learners are unlikely to be thinking of all possible contexts when they choose a word from a list of synonyms.

Status
Not open for further replies.