Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
How to pronounce the sentence "I don’t want to set down a series of fact in a diary."

I don’t want to set down a series of fact in a diary.

1. "t" of "don't" is no voice.
2. "to" is pronounced /dɜ:/.
3. "set down a" is pronounced "se town nə:", so d is no voice.
4. "series of fact in a" is pronounced /ˈsɪri:zə/ + /fæktɪŋ/ + /nə:/ ,including 3 syllables. The "f" of the "of" don't voice.

Am I right?
Thanks a lot.

"set down a series of fact in a" sounds like a word.

Those pronunciation make me cry.

Help me please!!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Re: pronunciation of "I don’t want to set down a series of fact in a diary."

Note first that it should be "a series of facts​".

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

Hello.
First, I want to say that you need to pluralise 'fact' to 'facts'.
Second, that there is not only one correct way to pronounce anything, so I can only advise you how I might say it as a native speaker, in a reasonably fast (but still clear), and connected way.

1) Yes, the /t/ is not pronounced

2) Like many people, I usually pronounce 'want to' as 'wanna' (wɒnə), but you could pronounce a /t/ sound followed by a schwa (wɒntə). Really not a /d/ with a long vowel as you suggest

3) You're right that the /t/ and /d/ in 'set down' cannot both be pronounced, but you should skip the /t/ and say only the /d/. Not the other way round

4) I don't think you've transcribed it very well. I pronounce it as six syllables, like: 'sɪərɪzə'fæksɪnə
You can hear that the /v/ of 'of' disappears

Hope that helps a bit!

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

1) Yes, the /t/ is not pronounced

It often isn't, but it can be.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

3) You're right that the /t/ and /d/ in 'set down' cannot both be pronounced, b
They can, and often are in careful, emphatic speech.

Even in normal conversation, the /t/ is usually there; it's simply not exploded.The tongue makes a closure at the alveolar ridge, with the voice switched off. Then the tongue is released with a (partly) voiced /d/. If we were to utter 'set down' as /sedaʊn/ or ssetaʊn/, it would sound rather unnatural.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

I disagree that they "usually are in careful, emphatic speech". Of course, it is possible to pronounce both in succession but this would have to be done very slowly. I can imagine, for example, an exasperated teacher saying "SIT DOWN!" in such a way.

It doesn't, perhaps, make a lot of sense to say that the /t/ is there but simply not exploded. Doesn't that mean that it's not there (not pronounced) - that it has been assimilated? Sure, the tongue is in place, ready for the /d/, with the voice off but why do you say the /d/ is then only partly voiced?

Yes, I think that we get a glottal stop in place of the assimilated /t/. Do you agree, and if so, how might you transcribe this?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

At the /t/ stage of 'set down', the tongue goes to the alveolar ridge to make a closure and, for a brief time, is not released. The same thing happens when a film director calls 'Cut!' The final /t/ is not exploded, but the tongue is in the positiion, and the vowel is both marginally different at the close and, more importntantly, is stopped. There is, to a phonetician, a difference between the /ʌ/ of/kʌ/ when it is followed by nothing, and the /ʌ/ of /kʌt/. The same is true of the /e/ of 'set down'.

In 'set down' a spectogram will reveal that the initial part of the /d/ is unvoiced.

You can probably hear the difference yourself. Say /sedaʊn/ as though it were written 'se-down', and then say /setdaʊn/ without exploding the /t/. In phonemic script I would write /setdaʊn/ - the unexploded /t/ is an allophone of /t/. In a slightly narrower transcription, I would write /set[SUP]h[/SUP]daʊn/.

For some speakers there could be a glottal stop instead of a /t/, but I don't think this is common when followed by a /d/. In phonemic transcription, we could either consider this to be an allophone of /t/, and write it as /t/ or, in a slightly narrower transcription, use /
ʔ/.

Status
Not open for further replies.