Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
What does this "wired" mean? "indulged" or "connected"?

41)personal experiences or personal relationships. Similarly, around half of tweets are “me” focused, covering what people are doing now or something that has happened to them. Why do people talk so much about their own attitudes and experiences? It’s more than just vanity; we’re actually wired to find
it pleasurable. Harvard neuroscientists Jason Mitchell and Diana Tamir found that information about the self is intrinsically rew,,

Last edited:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In this use, "wired" means that our brains are programmed to do this. In other words, it is not a conscious choice.

Last edited by a moderator:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The term 'wired' (or 'to be wired in a certain way') refers to the various neurological connections in our brains which determine our behaviour. This 'wiring' can be altered, thereby altering our behaviour. Sometimes you hear 'hard-wired', which I think refers to those connections that we're born with, or which are difficult or impossible to change. (Please note: I'm not a neuroscientist!)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Moderator’s Note.

The QUOTE feature can be very useful, but there is no need to QUOTE part/all of a previous post when it is clear what you are referring to. Over-use of this feature can makes threads unnecessarily long. Please QUOTE only if it clarifies what could be confusing, or if you are making corrections to the original text. Thank you.

5jj

Last edited by a moderator:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Sometimes you hear 'hard-wired', which I think refers to those connections that we're born with, or which are difficult or impossible to change. (Please note: I'm not a neuroscientist!)
Yes, that's true. It's a useful concept, for example in arguing whether something like homosexuality is hard- or soft-wired. 'Wired' by itself, I think would usually mean 'hard-wired' or the author would think of a term more suggestive of nurture rather than nature.

Status
Not open for further replies.