Interested in Language
Native Language
Hebrew
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
United States
Hello,

I hope you would be able to help me with the following sentence, please - which of the following versions is the right one, and why:

1. Listening, caring and understanding are all key to a successful relationship or

2. Listening, caring and understanding are all keys to a successful relationship

It seems like there should be an "s", meaning "keys" (because we're dealing with multiple actions), but it doesn't ring right.

Furthermore, when searching on Google for the exact combination of "are all keys to a successful", I found ~448K appearances with of "keys" (plural), but more than 2 million (more than quadruple) the same exact sentence with "key", meaning singular.

Would appreciate your help!

Thank you!

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In this use, "key" is an adjective, not a noun. Therefore, there is no plural.

Last edited by a moderator:

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Both are equally correct. It depends on whether you consider "key" to be a noun or an adjective here. In my opinion, "key" is the more common usage in AmE today, but there is nothing wrong with "keys." Google is not a reliable way of researching questions about English usage. You should consult instead COCA, the Corpus of Contemporary American English.

Mack007

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hebrew
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
United States
Thank you very much, that's very helpful!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Your appreciation is welcome but there is no need to write a new post to say "Thank you". Simply click on the "Thank" button at the bottom of any post you find helpful. It saves us all time.

Status
Not open for further replies.