Teaching English via news - what do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lauris Olups

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Latvian, Lettish
Home Country
Latvia
Current Location
Latvia
Hi!

I'm an English teacher working for a company using the direct method, but lately there have been two groups whose level is a bit too good for that, so we've been reading the latest news I've prepared, with me explaining the new words, grammar and anything else they don't understand or make mistakes with, as we go. The lessons are really relevant, interesting and fun for everyone. So I thought of doing something similar, but finding my own students instead.

The possible downside of this method is that there is no structured plan or exams. So it's just in the process - the relevant news and learning language that is actually used in the world around us. Plus I'm an active, extroverted person which makes me a teacher students usually like working with.

So, do you have any opinions of suggestions as to how well this would work, and what should be taken into account?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
There are sites like this one that produce lessons based on the news. You gain in areas like topicality and often interest, but the downside is that the lessons may have a short lifespan and not be recyclable. You also have to take into account the culture and expectations of the learners- gay marriage may be in the news in some countries, but it might make for a difficult lesson in some places.

Lauris Olups

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Latvian, Lettish
Home Country
Latvia
Current Location
Latvia
There are sites like this one that produce lessons based on the news. You gain in areas like topicality and often interest, but the downside is that the lessons may have a short lifespan and not be recyclable. You also have to take into account the culture and expectations of the learners- gay marriage may be in the news in some countries, but it might make for a difficult lesson in some places.

Thanks for the info! But how about lacking any plan or official evaluation in the end? I mean, then way I do it now, is just for the process of learning. The students want it for their own benefit, not for any official documents afterwards. I wonder if there is a market for such a thing.

Lauris Olups

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Latvian, Lettish
Home Country
Latvia
Current Location
Latvia
Thanks for the info! But how about lacking any plan or official evaluation in the end? I mean, then way I do it now, is just for the process of learning. The students want it for their own benefit, not for any official documents afterwards. I wonder if there is a market for such a thing.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
A lot of freelancers teach in this way, and do very well for themselves.

Lauris Olups

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Latvian, Lettish
Home Country
Latvia
Current Location
Latvia
Thanks for the inspiration 5jj!

But what about not having and exams or evaluations? Do the freelances you speak of have them?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks for the inspiration 5jj!

But what about not having and exams or evaluations? Do the freelances you speak of have them?

None of my adult students in Spain were preparing for any kind of exam or evaluation. They simply wanted to improve their English. I regularly used news articles as a starter for a class in much the same way you do (vocab and grammar first, then listening or reading comprehension and then discussion).

The only students I (and many of my colleagues) had who were actually preparing for some kind of exam were the school/college age students.

Certainly none of my private adult students expected to get any kind of certificate or evaluation at the end. In fact, there was no foreseeable "end". I started teaching them once they took me on and I carried on teaching them until I left Spain.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

There is definitely a market for this- I have both taught and studied without aiming to do exams. I have lessons in the language of the country I am living in, but never work towards exams. There are plenty of learners who don't need to get certificates. However, having an option to take exams may also be useful.

Lauris Olups

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Latvian, Lettish
Home Country
Latvia
Current Location
Latvia
Thanks. Is there a chance of getting touch with someone here who has experience with this? I'd like to ask for some advice in a private conversation. :)

adrianaflower

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think you should make your students read more books and novels, especially Sidney Sheldon, as it contains thrilling stories and some electrifying words which we can use in our daily life, thus, improving their grammar.

Last edited by a moderator:

Polyester

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Are you a native Englsih teacher ?

Status