Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Is this word combination common? What other kinds of theatre do you have (the musical comedy theatre, the puppet theatre ...)?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
(Surgical) operating theatre (OT), Theatre of war, chamber theatre, outdoor theatre ...
Then there are forms that refer not to the physical theatre, but theatre as drama: Modern theatre, Brechtian theatre, Theatre of the Absurd, seventeenth century theatre...

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I only mean theatre as drama. Don't you have the puppet theatre where you live? If yes, how do you refer to it? Do you have theatres for children? How are they called?
Do you have ballet theatres? opera theatres?
I understand that theatres have proper names, but if I want to take my daughter to, say, a puppet theatre, do I have to use the proper name or can I just say "We'll go to the puppet theatre tomorrow"?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I only mean theatre as drama.
You seem to mean theatre as physical buildings for drama production. "The theatre" also refers to drama, and you might also mean this.
Don't you have the puppet theatre where you live? If yes, how do you refer to it? We don't have specific theatres for puppets. As drama, it could be called "puppet theatre", though it could also be called "Cirque des marionettes". Neither the physical theatre, nor the type of theatre has to have a fixed name.
Do you have theatres for children? How are they called? Here they are called ordinary adult theatres that are used for children's drama productions.
Do you have ballet theatres? opera theatres? Yes. Examples are the Lyric Theatre and Performing Art Complex in Brisbane, the Suncorp Theatre (named after the sponsor); down south the Sydney Opera House (which is an opera theatre). Different drama and musical venues host various types of drama or musical production.
I understand that theatres have proper names, but if I want to take my daughter to, say, a puppet theatre, do I have to use the proper name or can I just say "We'll go to the puppet theatre tomorrow"?
You can say, "We'll go to the puppet theatre; it's at <Name of Theatre>. You can call it the "puppet theatre" if that's what your daughter understands, but you take the bus to the Odeon, or wherever the puppets are on.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Are you talking about the type of building or the type of drama?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I agree with Tdol. I would normally say "the theater" If I were going to a live performance of a play, whether it be a straight play or a musical. It is possible that the term "drama theater" was used to distinguish it from a movie theater. But we often use different terms for a movie theater. In BrE, I believe they use the word "cinema". In AmE, we often say "the movies" or "a movie".

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Additionally, theatres are used for musicals (as Mike said), orchestral concerts, variety (vaudeville) shows, operas, ballets and solo performances by individual celebrities.

Only major cities have opera houses which are specially equipped for the staging of large scale operas.

Status
Not open for further replies.