I had essentially written that off as a reject by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shhop319

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
United States
A :I called them last week, and they said if we don't hear by the end of this week, to give them a call again. They're still undecided on some applications.

B: Interesting--thanks. I had essentially written that off as a reject by now.

Hi, this is a conversation regarding a graduate school admission. I can't understand what B said...Could you help?

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I am a Non-NEST (Non-Native English Speaking Teacher).

I think B means he thought his application had been rejected, but now he sees there is still a chance of it being accepted.

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
That's right.

B should have said 'rejection' instead of 'reject'.

shhop319

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
United States
Thanks, but still confused...then why did B use "by now" at the end of the sentence? "rejection by now" seems he is regarding the situation as a rejection. Thanks though.

ps : What does "If I were a native speaker of English, I would never shut up.)" mean? does it mean that native speaker should talk all the time?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
By now- the person has just learned something new that means that it might not be a rejection, so what they had previously thought is no longer true.

PS- No,it doesn't. It means that the person doesn't speak as much as he or she wants, but would find it much easier to talk if he or she were a native speaker.

PPS If you have a separate question, please start a new thread. Thanks.

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
Thanks, but still confused...then why did B use "by now" at the end of the sentence?

I am not a teacher.

Because B doesn't speak properly. I would hazard a guess that B didn't graduate in English.

shhop319

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
United States
Ok. I will start a new thread with a different question. thanks.

Sorry but still I don't understand. B said I had essentially written that off as a reject by now.

Does it mean that he thought that means rejection up to this moment? (I mean, a very before now)

and now he think differently?

If so, why did he use past perfect? I think just using past seems fine. (I wrote that off a rejection by now )

And confused about the purpose of "off" here. I don't think that word is necessary in this sentence.

Thanks!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes, it means that right up until a couple of moments ago when Person A spoke, Person B had assumed that the result was a rejection. Based on what Person A said, Person B has now revised that assumption.

As far as "why did he use past perfect?", did you read the contents of post #6.

shhop319

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
United States
Thanks. Sorry but I am a new user and still not feels comfortable for this site. Could you tell me what post #6 means?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks. Sorry but I am a new user and still not feels comfortable for this site. Could you tell me what post #6 means?

Being a new user has no bearing on whether or not you understand a post. Post #6 said "I am not a teacher. Because B doesn't speak properly. I would hazard a guess that B didn't graduate in English."

Which part do you not understand?

shhop319

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
United States
Oh, I just thought post #6 means something like grammar lesson on the other forum or thread. I didn't realize that you were saying a post in this thread.

So... "I would hazard a guess that B didn't graduate in English." means his sentence was wrong. So if he says "I wrote that off a rejection by now", it should be better..am I right?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Oh, I just thought post #6 means something like grammar lesson on the other forum or thread. I didn't realize that you were saying a post in this thread.

So... "I would hazard a guess that B didn't graduate in English." means his sentence was wrong. So if he says "I wrote that off a rejection by now", it should be better..am I right?

No. "Until now I had written that off as a rejection" would work.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

It was suggested that "rejection" would be a better choice than "reject".
Your question which led to post #6 was to do with why the writer used "by now". That was the reason post #6 said "Because B doesn't speak English properly".

Status
Not open for further replies.