Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hi guys,

"He didn't come out of the room so that nobody would get disturbed", is this sentence correct?

I read one more sentence, that is, "he didn't come out lest he disturbes anyone"(so why we didn't use disturbed in this sentence? we are talking about the past).

So when we talk about the past using "so that", we have to use the past form after "so that" is that right? we cant use present perfect or present simple. Please explain.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"He didn't come out lest he disturb anyone." It's using the subjunctive.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
"He didn't come out of the room so that nobody would get disturbed", is this sentence correct?

It's ugly and be disturbed would be better. It would read better to me if you used something like because he didn't want to disturb anybody.

Last edited by a moderator:

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
So, my sentence is correct, but you didn't answer the other questions, and i have one more doubt we don't use past after lest(Like:-"he left early lest he get late", but if we are not using lest than we should say, "he left early so that he would not get late", or "he didn't get late")is this right? but if you are not using lest you can't use simple.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
So, my sentence is correct, but you didn't answer the other questions, and i have one more doubt we don't use past after lest(Like:-"he left early lest he get late", but if we are not using lest than we should say, "he left early so that he would not get late", or "he didn't get late")is this right? but if you are not using lest you can't use simple.

It would, perhaps, be nice if you thanked those who have helped you so far instead of starting a post the way you started this one.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
It would also be nice if you made some effort to break up your messages into reasonable sentences, as you have been asked before.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.