Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi guys ,
Does this sentence wrong ?

Having seen your letter in my mailbox made me both glad and sad .

Thanks a lot

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi guys ,
[STRIKE]Does [/STRIKE] Is this sentence wrong ?

Having seen your letter in my mailbox made me both glad and sad .

Thanks a lot

Yes, it's wrong.

Having seen your letter in my mailbox, I was both glad and sad.
Seeing your letter in my mailbox made me both glad and sad.

"Having seen" desribes a person, so you need a noun to tell us who that person is.
Having seen your letter, I was both glad and sad. = I saw your letter and I was glad and sad.
Having decided on a plan, the team quickly implemented it. = The team decided on a plan and the team implemented it quickly.
Having opened the box of cookies, Joe was unable to keep from eating all of them. = Joe opened the box and Joe ate them all.

omid_61

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Many appreciations for your comprehensive reply.I have constantly mixed up grammar rules.I have been studying English since 10 years ago and now preparing myself to take the Ielts exam.Do you have any suggestions for me ?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Many [STRIKE]appreciations[/STRIKE] thanks for your comprehensive reply. I [STRIKE]have[/STRIKE] constantly [STRIKE]mixed[/STRIKE] mix up grammar rules. I have been studying English [STRIKE]since[/STRIKE] for 10 years [STRIKE]ago[/STRIKE] and I am now preparing [STRIKE]myself[/STRIKE] to take the [STRIKE]Ielts[/STRIKE] IELTS exam. Do you have any suggestions for me?

Please note my corrections to your post above. If you are taking the IELTS exam, you need to make sure that you are following the rules of written English:

- Start every sentence with a capital letter.
- End every sentence with a single, appropriate punctuation mark.
- Always capitalise the word "I", proper nouns and acronyms/initials.
- Do not put a space before a full stop, comma, question mark or exclamation mark.
- Always put a space after a full stop, comma, question mark or exclamation mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.