Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
My mobile phone ran out of credit. No more recharge. I am going to work on Wi-Fi.

Does this work?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't understand how "credit" relates to "recharge".

Odessa Dawn

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
We don't tend to use "recharge" to mean anything except "to plug into a power source and recharge the battery" when it comes to mobile phones. As far as money is concerned, we "top up" the credit.

My mobile phone has run out of credit and I'm not going to top it up. I'll use WiFi to work/I'll work over WiFi.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
As emsr posted, many people would misunderstand the use of "recharge" in that use. It usually refers to batteries. In AmE we don't use "top up". We "add money", "add funds", or "refill". There are probably other terms also.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Completely off-topic, but I have noticed before your abbreviation of emsr2d2's name. I always assumed that the 'r2d2' was a reference to her avatar, and that any break would come before it. You appear to have assumed that '2d2' was some form of alphanumeric tag, and that the break would come before that. I think I may start a thread in the General Discussions forum for people to explain their usernames if they feel like it.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No, I recognized the r2d2. I tried to shorten it some but also make sure the reference was understood.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
"STC offers customers coming from Viva Bahrain and Kuwait the ability to recharge their prepaid lines using STC recharge cards."
Other parts of that page (see below) stongly suggest that the words were not written by a native speaker. Don't use it as an example of natural English.

Roaming vacation package is a package allow postpaid customers to receive unlimited calls while traveling abroad during official KSA vacations periods, this package work in the most important destinations for our customers.

Status
Not open for further replies.