Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Dear All
PLEASE
Which one is more correct??

1. Aspergillus can invade the lungs of immunocompromised individuals, as the main portal of entry, causing a life-threatening opportunisticinfection called invasive pulmonary aspergillosis (IPA).

2. Aspergillus can invade the lungs, as the main portal of entry, of immunocompromised individualscausing a life-threatening opportunistic infection called invasive pulmonary aspergillosis (IPA).

Regards.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I prefer:

The lungs of immunocompromised individuals are the main portal of entry for Aspergilli, which cause a life-threatening opportunistic infection called invasive pulmonary aspergillosis (IPA).

Last edited:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Route of entry" is what they call it when talking about hazardous substances. I don't know if that is a more general medical term, but it is what I would call it.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
'Route of entry' sounds better to me. Knowing nothing about the topic, I tried merely to tidy up the structure.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
I prefer:

The lungs of immunocompromised individual are the main portal of entry for Aspergilli, which cause a life-threatening opportunistic infection called invasive pulmonary aspergillosis (IPA).

unfortunately, the lung of all individual are the main route so i can't say "The lungs of immunocompromised individual are the main portal of entry........"

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
"Route of entry" is what they call it when talking about hazardous substances. I don't know if that is a more general medical term, but it is what I would call it.
I have found this term in many articles related to fungal infections.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
unfortunately, the lung of all individual are the main route so i can't say "The lungs of immunocompromised individual are the main portal of entry........"
The lungs are the main portal of entry for Aspergilli, which, in immunocompromised individuals, cause a life-threatening opportunistic infection called invasive pulmonary aspergillosis (IPA).

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
5jj, I like your new sentence the best. One comment, however. Even though "Aspergilli" is the correct plural of "Aspergillus", it is more common to use the genus name "Aspergillus" than the plural form. I would change Aspergilli to Aspergillus" and then "cause" to "causes".

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
What about that?

The lungs are the main portal of entry forAspergillus spp., which, in immunocompromised individuals, causes alife-threatening opportunistic infection called invasive pulmonaryaspergillosis (IPA)

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That would be OK, but I really don't think the "spp." is needed. And, since that is the abbreviation for plural species, many would want to use a plural verb with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.